Rust in my HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizzlyBier

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I built my hlt by converting a keg, installing a heating element, etc. I had some guy weld the fittings onto the keg. Much to my dismay, I don't think he did it right. I have a lot of rust on the inside joints (see pic). I've put a lot of time and effort (and money) into this and I don't know what to do. It's stainless welded to stainless, so why is it rusting? I'm not knowledgeable about welding.

So should I just clean it with a rust cleaner (CLR?) and not worry or get them re-done? Or buy a whole brewery (my preference, maybe some day)?

Thanks brew ninjas!

rusty weld joint.jpg

I don't know about welding stainless steel. But that is not right. It should not rust. I would have it redone by someone who works with stainless steel. Otherwise it will just rust again. It doesn't look like a very good job anyway.

My guess is he didn't shield the weld properly with inert gas and you have oxidation.

I would scrub with a paste of bar keepers friend, should help hopefully.

While unsightly, sanitary welds are not required on the hot side and this likely won't have much impact on your beer...

I wouldn't let water lay in there while not in use as well.

Lots of welders claim to be able to weld stainless, and they can.

Unfortunately, of those welders not many understand or are capable of doing sanitary food grade welding.

+1 ^^

The weld actually looks solid. Your welder did not use a back purge kit with inert gas and did not descale after welding and what's on the surface is oxidation.

A strong Stainless wire brush, angle grinder with buffing disk or wire wheel attachment should make quick work of that.

After you have polished the surface, give it a good scrub with bar keeper's friend as suggested by @wilserbrewer. Let the BKF soak on the area for a bit then scrub. May take 1 - 2 applications.

After you're done, fill the tun with water and let is set for a bit. Make sure no pin hole leaks.

Back