Running infected beer through my lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently had to dump two batches after I found out that my laziness and ambivalence towards siphon hoses had caught up to me. In both cases, I didn't discover I had an infection until I drew the first pint. I've already run 2-3 gallons of star san through my lines, but I'm getting paranoid and DO NOT (for the love of the beer gods) want to dump another batch. Should I just go ahead and replace my beer lines and QD's, is my sanitation regimin satisfactory, or should I do something else?

P.S. For the record, the infection is of the seriously phenol/Band-aid type flavor variety... I don't know if that's pertinent info or not. Thanks for all your help and thoughts!

They are cheap enough to simply replace IMO, though I've had good luck runing various cleaners through mine. I don't have an LHBS nearby, so for me it was easier to soak overnight in PBW and follow with a vinegar rinse. Then hot water and finally starsan. Then I replaced as soon as I could.

Take the disconnects apart to clean them, soak all those parts in beer line cleaner or hot oxyclean, then rinse, then starsan, I'd ditch the lines. How about your CO2 lines, could there be something nasty in those?
-Ben

Yea, I'm pretty much resigned to replacing the liquid out line and possibly the QD's. I'm not exactly sure how to disassemble QD's though. Anyone have thoughts on this?

As far as the CO2 line, I feel safe about it, but I'm not sure. There hasn't been any liquid in it as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure if liquid is a necessary or sufficient requirement for infection. Should I replace them too?

There is a screwdriver slot in the top. Inside is a spring, a valve and washer. It's real simple. You could always flush the gas side lines with starsan, let it soak, then purge with co2. If some beer backed into the lines at some point, there could be nasties in there.
Hopefully you have also disassembled the keg posts and dip tubes to clean them?

Yah, everything else has been disassembled and sanitized with impunity. I think I might just replace the liquid line, both disconnects, and sanitize the gas line just to be safe. Thanks for the help and advice, guys. I really appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back