Runners and other athletes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdMerican

Reaction score
Recently tried starsan on tech fabric and it gets the stink out. Half strength, hour soak. No stink.

I was at one time an athlete, became a father and home brewer and got rather sedentary. I had a bunch of tech fabric shirts and shorts left from those times. I recently started running and training for the tough mudder and I became aware of something I never noticed before. My tech clothes STINK. Even after a good wash. Did some reading on why and found that the wicking qualities that suck up sweat also hold on to bacteria. So I decided to try soaking in starsan. I cant say how it affects the fabric in the long term, but after several weeks of wear and wash cycles and the stink built up to a poont I couldnt take it, I had to try something. Happy to say it worked great.

I read this to my wife and she got all excited to try it. Will do tonight and see how it works for us. Thanks for the info.

Good to know I guess. I remember reading of a HBT member who was considering or actually was using starsan to sanitize equipment he had for his dog kennel. It's always nice to extrapolate the information you learn from this hobby into other areas of life.

I do ultras - 10 years or so.

Here's the thing, no one looks at you, no one really gets close enough to smell you, no one pays attention at all actually. I'm surprised you care!

More power to you that you've figured it out but I'm not at all interested in using my expensive brewing chemicals to alleviate other peoples delicate senses myself.

But if course YMMV as always etc.

Cheers!
Steve da sleeve

I couldn't stand the smell of myself while I was running. I also mix a batch of starsan and use it for a couple months or until it builds a little mung layer at the botton then I dump it. For making a gallon of half strength to soak my techs in it only took a very small amount.

Latest posts

Back