Ruination Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy360

Reaction score
For my 3rd brew I'm planning on a clone of Stone Ruination.

Recipe as follows:

Stone Brewing – Ruination IPA
(5 gallon, extract with grains)

OG=1.075

FG=1.018

IBU’S = 115-120

SRM= 6

Alcohol 7.7% by volume

Ingredients

6.6 Lbs Munton's (light) malt extract syrup

2.0 Lbs. Munton's (light) dry malt extract

1.0 Lb. Briess 2-row malt

1.0 Lb. Briess 20L Crystal Malt

36.0 AAU Magnum hops (bittering hop)

(2.4 Oz. of 15.1% Alpha acid)

15.7 AAU Centennial hops (aroma/finishing hop)

(1.6 Oz. of 9.9% alpha acid)

21.0 AAU Centennial hops (dry hop)

(2.1 Oz. of 9.9% alpha acid)

Safale US-05 Yeast

O.75 cup of corn sugar for priming.

Step by step

Steep the 2 crushed grains in 3 gallons of water at 149º for 30 minutes. Filter grains from wort, add Magnum hops, malt syrup, and bring to a boil. Boil 60 min. Add the first addition of Centennial hops at the end of the boil, and let steep for 5 minutes.

Now add wort to 2 gallons cool water in a sanitary fermenter, and top off with cool water to 5.5 gallons. Cool the wort to 75º, aerate the beer and pitch your yeast. Allow the beer to cool over the next few hours to 68º, and hold at this temperature until the yeast has finished fermentation. Then add last addition of Centennial hops for dry hopping. Dry hop for 3 to 5 days, then bottle your beer, carbonate and enjoy!

Here's a couple questions:
-Is the dry hopping in the primary fermenter?

-I plan on using a secondary for this brew. Should I rack it after the 5 days of dry hopping and strain out the hops when transferring?

Poppy360 said:
Here's a couple questions:
-Is the dry hopping in the primary fermenter?

-I plan on using a secondary for this brew. Should I rack it after the 5 days of dry hopping and strain out the hops when transferring?

I would dry hop in the secondary fermenter. Rack your beer into secondary and put the hops in a sterile bag that is weighted with some marbles or something. Then drop it in.

anthrobe said:
I would dry hop in the secondary fermenter. Rack your beer into secondary and put the hops in a sterile bag that is weighted with some marbles or something. Then drop it in.

And then only secondary for 5 days?

Poppy360 said:
And then only secondary for 5 days?

I you hit your anticipated OG of 1.075 then I would do the primary from 10 to 14 days. Rack to secondary and let sit at least another 14 days. That is a pretty big beer and you will be happy with it if you let it ferment and age correctly.

anthrobe said:
I you hit your anticipated OG of 1.075 then I would do the primary from 10 to 14 days. Rack to secondary and let sit at least another 14 days. That is a pretty big beer and you will be happy with it if you let it ferment and age correctly.

It is a big beer and I was planning on at least 2 weeks in secondary, but the recipe only calls for 5 days of dry hopping. Should I just remove the bag of hops after 5 days? (I wasn't planning on using a bag, but I will if necessary.)

I wouldn't expect that to ferment down to 1.010 without sugar in the recipe. Even with 80% attenuation you'll only get it down to about 1.014.

Bagging is a good idea. You can easily remove the hops and (more importantly) add fresh batch(s) as needed.

[Contrary to popular opinion, I like highly hopped IPAs. I just want brewers to be true to other styles]

Back