Rubbermaid container as STC-1000 housing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingedcoyote

Reaction score
I bought a gang box and outlet face to build my stc-1000 controller, but I don't actually own a Dremel or similar tool to enlarge the outlet face opening / modify the box / etc. I know I should get one, but in the meantime I'm wondering if a Rubbermaid / Tupperware / etc plastic container could be used instead. I figure with something like that I can just cut holes with a regular pocket knife. But is there any reason that wouldn't work, or wouldn't be safe to contain this kind of wiring? I'm very new to any kind of electronics so I don't want to do anything weird without confirmation. :)

You can use such a container. When you're done no bare wires will be touching the container anyway. The main thing is the container be stiff enough it doesn't crack when using the outlets.
A hacksaw blade, or part the blade, held in a vice grip may be safer than using a pocket knife. Drill holes in the corner locations to start the blade. A coping saw blade will also work. The coping saw blade can be started in a small knife cut.

Back