Rubbermade MT Using Brewers Edge Valve??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok.. wanting to do this and I found a good buy on both the cooler and the valve. The valve stem does fit thru the hole in the cooler just fine. The big BUT is.. that the threaded end that goes thru the wall of the cooler is just barely long enough to fit.. but not enough room to add SS washers.

This is the valve. It would work just great in a metal boil pot or MT

So, if anyone has built one of these critters using this particular valve.. I'd love to hear how you did it..

Thanks folks.

Bill

I had a Ice Cube cooler with that valve on it, I used the inner thread to attach my manifold to, and the ss nut with washer as usual.

-G

Nipple is built into the valve.. all machined as one body.

The valve you linked to is a female-to-femle - " It features 1/2" female NPT threads on the outlet, and 3/8" NPT female threads on the inside to attach the Brewer's Edge Kettle Screen."

The valve you linked to is a female-to-femle - " It features 1/2" female NPT threads on the outlet, and 3/8" NPT female threads on the inside to attach the Brewer's Edge Kettle Screen."

That's the one.. female/female. The inside has female threads to accept the screen but also has male threads to accept the nut to attach to the pot.. in this case tho.. hopefully.. to the Rubbermade Mash Tun.

The problem is.. as stated above.. the BB Valve's male threads aren't quite long enough to accept both the nut, washer and O-ring.

This is really a nice ball valve and I'd hate to go to a brass set-up like some that I've seen here for the MT.. but.. if there isn't a way that's hiding from my pea pickin mind.. I may have to do that.

Hopefully, someone creative might be able to help.

It would work.. but what would keep it from leaking? The outside mating surface has an oring that is recessed a bit into the valve housing providing a seal on the outside.. and if it was a pot, would work like a charm.. but, the cooler is double walled and with no rubber and steel washer on the inside, I'm sure it'd be a leaker.

Love your user name..

Back