Sweet Stout Rowdy's Sweet Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yatesr65

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Brewtec CL-240 Irish Dry Stout
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
38 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7/68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7/68
Tasting Notes
brewing soon
My first recipe from scratch. I haven't brewed it yet. I wanted to keep the bitterness down and succeeded. Thoughts?

1 lbs Pale Chocolate Malt; Thomas Fawcett
.5 lbs Black Roasted Barley
2 lbs Dark Liquid; Brewferm
0.5 lbs Lactose
0.2 oz Galena (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.5 oz Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : BrewTek CL-240 Irish Dry Stout

So this is for what, 2 gallons?

All of your malt is dark, and that's too much. You flavor is likely going to be beyond roasted - bitter and unpalatable. Start by swapping out the dark LME for light or extra light, then cut back on your chocolate and roasted barley. You'll still be plenty dark, and plenty roasty, but if you can get the combination of chocolate and roasted barley down to about 10% of your malt, it will be a pleasant roastiness.

Chocolate and roasted barley both need to be mashed, which is simple enough. Get a grain bag, and add those two to 8 oz. of pale two-row, mash at about 152 degF for 15-30 minutes, and you're fine. If you like, review Deathbrewer's tutorial on partial mash brewing.

You might consider cutting down a little on your lactose, and throwing in a little crystal malt - say a couple ounces each of C40L and C80L - to add some caramel flavors to the roast.

Cascade is an interesting choice for an Irish stout. Fuggles, Goldings, Brewer's Gold, and Northdown are more traditional, but Cascade might provide for an "Irish American" flavor profile, if that's what you're into.

Where are you getting BrewTek yeast these days?

Thanks for the info. I had plugged all of this in to Beer Tools and everything showed up as good, but that is why I posted on this site. To get some opinions. Funny how on the site, the IBU's show up very low for this style beer. I like your suggestions and will alter accordingly. Your suggestions are more in line with the flavor I think I am shooting for.

I started with a 5 gallon recipe and then cut in half, so I will end up with 2.5 Gallons.

As far as the Brewtek Yeast, again from plugging into the Beer Tools site. I have noticed that I have to alter items every now and then when I try to find something. So it sounds like I may need to find another Yeast? I would have assumed they would have only obtainable ingredients....

Thanks again for the info. I have just started home brewing and am really trying to dig and find as much info as I can.

Brewtek has been out of business for a while. The only Brewtek yeast that I'm aware of being readily available is Wyeast 1450 Denny's (Brewtek CL-50).

S-04 is a good choice for dry yeast in a stout. It's convenient, and is the equivalent of Wyeast 1098/White Labs WLP007. If you want to go with liquid (possibly in a future brew), then I like Wyeast 1084 Guinness, Wyeast 1728 Young's, or Wyeast 1450 Denny's.

You can steep chocolate and roasted barley, but you won't get everything out of them that you could (particularly texture, in my experience) if you don't mash them. If you want a more current brewing book than the old (but free) online Palmer, then I would recommend the third edition of Papazian's Joy of Home Brewing.

Back