Room Temps for Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txstars15

Reaction score
Just getting back into brewing after a number of years. Living in Dallas where it is hot as hell too much of the year, I'm wondering how cool of a space will I need for the brewing process. Lately, the house is around 82 during the day.

That's too hot. Typically you'd want the room to be more like the mid or low 60s. You can do a swamp cooler (put fermenter in larger bucket filled with water and ice bottles) or something.

You will want your fermentation temperatures to be 62-70 for best results (the hotter it is, the more off-flavors will result). Keep in mind fermentation can be about 5 degrees warmer than ambient temperature. Google "swamp cooler" for brewing--A simple way to keep your fermentation cool.

Have fun!

my apt is hot as hell in the summer so i've been using the white labs saison & belgian yeast strains.... they can deal with the high temps.

I'm in Midland, Texas where it's hotter than a bastard right now. I leave my AC on 65º all day and set my fermenter in the direct throw of a vent during peak fermentation. Once things slow down, I'll set the AC back on 74º where it usually stays. It ain't perfect, but it minimizes the off-flavors of fermenting in summer heat.

The optimal solution is a temperature-controlled refrigerator set at 66º. Otherwise, make a swamp cooler out of a big bucket. Place your fermenter inside it, fill it to beer level with water, and add frozen water bottles to the water as necessary to maintain your desired temp.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/fermentation-control-igloo-ice-cube-one-152797/

i made a swamp cooler out of an igloo ice cube cooler. it works amazing! take the lid off and replace with pink insulation foam. much like whats pictured in the thread above. but i had to cut a 1 1/2 inch square frame. then glue it to a solid square peice with a hole for the air lock, for my ale pale to fit.

i'm three days in with 75 to 80 degree temps in my apt and i'm able to hold 68 degrees just by swaping out two frozen water bottles once in the morning and then again at night.

in regards to the swamp cooler. i never realized how big of a deal this is. and i know my temps are way too high in my house, now after reading this. i understand how to make the swamp cooler. my question/problem being is. i am a firefighter, and i work 24 hour shifts... how often will i need to replace the ice?

get a big tub that will hold your fermenter and some ice bottles. put some water in the tub, and chill it to the low 50's. put the fermenter in the ice bath. when the water warms up to the low 60's, add an ice bottle every now and then. keep it covered with a towel except for the airlock

you can ferment into the low 70's, its just not optimal. in my (albeit small) experience, nottingham yeast and s-05 can tolerate ferment room temps of 72 or so with minimal weirdness in the beer.

Im just north of Frisco. Keep an eye on craigslist for a cheap or free fridge. I now use this with a temp control. Its really the only way to go, and gives you great piece of mind.

Find the coldest A/C vent in your place. Put the fermenter right next to it. Cover the fermenter with a t-shirt, and drape the edge of the t-shirt over the vent so all the cold air blows around the fermenter first.

My house has lousy insulation, but I've done that a few times now and wound up with pretty solid beers. I've been using Belgian yeasts, though.

I agree with this. I use towels and it keeps my fermenter at around 62-64 degrees. Perfect for poorly insulated houses or for brewers who don't want to keep their entire house cooler just for the sake of their beer. Saves money on electric bill

i i never realized how big of a deal this is.

It's extremely important. You beer will taste like green apples if you're fermenting it at 80-plus degrees.

Regarding changing out the ice, if you'll freeze pocket-sized plastic bottles of water, remove the labels, and then put them into the cooler water, you'll be surprised how long they'll last. It'll take some experimenting, but you'll have it quickly. Good luck.

Back