Rookie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjhernandez1717

Reaction score
I just got introduced to the wonderful world of home-brew. First batch was a success Nice IPA. Second and third batch were flat but i believe it was a bottle issue, work in progress. My fermenter and my bottled beer sit in a dark space that normally runs about 80 degrees in the summer. Is this temp ok? I see a lot of 70 deg.

Welcome to the addiction. In my experience 80 is a bit warm depending on what your fermenting. I try to stay in the 65 degree area but I do mostly ales. Brew on!

75-80 is good for carbonating bottles, but unless you're fermenting a saison or something that uses a high-temp tolerant yeast, you want to ferment in the 60s. I would recommend looking up 'swamp coolers'. And welcome to your next obsession...... :mug:

you could do what i did and go with a Trappist or belgian monestary yeast... they produce flavors at that temp, but in general it's considered within the profile of a belgian trippel or abbey dubbel.

or put your fermenor in a big rubbermaid of water and add frozen bottles at intervals (something i've never bothered to do)

Thank you all for the sound advise, I will move my fermenter to a cooler spot. Yes indeed this is can very easily turn into an addiction.

Back