Rookie lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvanecek

Reaction score
I am currently lagering a Boston Lager. I put it in primary for 2 weeks at 46-50 degrees and it was bubbling but not vigorously. The kresin rose about 1/2 inch and then I pulled it from the fridge to do a diactical rest when the kresin started to drop. There was about 2 inches of sediment on the bottom of the keg as well at this point.

The diactical rest went for 36 hours at 60 degrees and it was bubbling heavily

After diactical rest I transfered into secondary (carrying it up the stairs must have shaken it slightly because when it settled that day in the secondary there was about 3/4 inch of sediment on the bottom that I had pulled from the primary) I put it back in the fridge and it kept bubbling like crazy so I left it at 46-50 thinking I never gave the beer a proper primary. The kresin rose about 2 inches and just started falling this week. It has been in the secondary for about 3 weeks.

Here is my question.
1. Do I transfer this to a 3rd keg and risk oxidation? From this keg I can lower the temp 10 degrees? How long would I leave it here for?

2. Do I do nothing and leave it at this temp until the bubbling slows?

3. Do I simply lower the temp now leaving it in the current carboy? If so how long do I leave it at the lower temp?

Any advise or other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! Is your fridge temperature-controlled (with a temperature controller)? It sounds like your beer was exposed to cold primary fermentation temperatures, but for posterity, the upper 40s°F should still ferment out most lager yeasts. Lagers are best fermented under controlled (temperature) conditions because uncontrolled refrigerators have some temperature fluctuation.

At this point, it sounds like you did a real "secondary" fermentation and you need to rack it to a lagering vessel (carboy/keg). I think it's better to get it off that primary sediment than not racking due to worries about oxidation in the transfer. Primary sediment can cause off-flavors in lagers if the beer is allowed to sit on it too long (2-3 weeks in primary is fine, but a whole lagering period is too long). Just be careful not to allow splashing/bubbling when you transfer and you should be fine. So, in short, I'd transfer and lager it.

Thanks for the response. I will transfer it off here shortly. You are right I do not have a temp control system. I have looked at it but I just kept a thermometer in there and it did not vary to a large degree... just a few. I honestly turned the fridge all the way up. I was cheating to try and save $50 and another hole in my fridge.

I started the fermentation at 60 degrees for 36 hours and then put in the fridge at 46-50. That is about the coldest it ever got.

I keg all of my beer anyways. should I transfer to the keg and force carbonate or transfer it to another carboy? I do not have a air lock for my keg. What temp should I shoot for?

You can transfer it to a keg, but I wouldn't force carb until you're finished lagering. Lagering temps are typically 32-34°F.

Back