Rogue Somer Orange Honey Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travisbrew

Reaction score
I need some help finding where to get the orange from but this is what I had in mind.

3.3lbs wheat malt extract syrup
3lbs wheat DME
2lbs orange blossom honey

I know they use crystal and williamette hops but I don't know when I should put them in and how much to use.
Im also in a rut on how much orange peel to use and when to use it. Suggestions please...

A while back I did a Wheat ale with orange (no honey), and I used the peel of 3 medium oranges (as little pith as possible) added at flameout with a can of organic orange concentrate then left to steep 30 minutes before chilling. It came out pretty good. My wife and a few friends really liked it, I thought it was a bit too orangey. Or you could do something similar to what the Dogfish Head Blood Orange clone recipe does. It uses a combination of peel and fruit that is steeped separately in hot water (160f) that is added to the primary fermenter.

I can't believe anyone else doesn't have input. I really need some good ideas on this.

I understand the ingredients I'm just a little confused on how to use them. Thats what I really need help with.

Well, the website says Perle, not Willamette, and wildflower rather than orange blossom. That's sorta what I was trying to point out.

Generally, the honey and all the spices go in at the end of the boil (earliest option), into primary, or into secondary. Adding to the boil about 3 min before the end means sanitizing but also driving off some of the delicate aromatics & flavor. Adding to ferment preserves flavor & aroma, but raises infection concerns.

As for percentages & amounts, I'll look at the list more closely and see what I can come up with in terms of recipe.

Okay, here's a rough draft--

3# DME (regular barley, NOT wheat)
3# Wheat LME
1# wildflower honey (last 3 min of boil)
.5# malted oats (steeped or PM? Help?)

10g Crystal @ 60min
10g Perle @ 20min

Wyeast 1764 Pacman 1 smack pack, preferably in 500 ml starter 24-48 hrs before brewing

Ferment @ 67-68 til stable FG on hydrometer readings

Rack to secondary on top of spice additions (some ppl like to soak orange peel in vodka or orange liqueur to sanitize) for 7-10 (?) days, then prime & bottle.

Gives you roughly 13P (1.053 OG) & 10 IBUs as per website. Personally, I think that might be way high on the Wheat LME, but if you've already got it you may as well try it out :)

I may do a trial run of this myself, now that I've blocked it out. What a terrific summer beer!

That does sound really good thanks for all of your help. I can do everything except the secondary. What type of oats should I do?

Travisbrew said:
That does sound really good thanks for all of your help. I can do everything except the secondary. What type of oats should I do?

You can add the spices to primary if necessary. As for the oats, it depends on whether you can mash them. If so, malted; if not, I think there's oats you can just steep-flaked, maybe?

Latest posts

Back