Rogue beverages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
Well, I have discovered Rogue products, lol. I am sure some of you will say "My goodness where have you been man, under a rock??", but in my defense there is only one place that carries there stuff and usually I was buying 'something else'. What got me turned on was I found a bottle shop with a large bottle of Nutbrown. Very good and my style. So I took a chance on a case of Mocha Porter, and really enjoy it. They have a clean approach to their beers (with the two I have tried) which I really enjoy. So who else likes their stuff? Next time, I'll probably pick up something else...any suggestions?

zoebisch01 said:
Well, I have discovered Rogue products, lol. I am sure some of you will say "My goodness where have you been man, under a rock??", but in my defense there is only one place that carries there stuff and usually I was buying 'something else'. What got me turned on was I found a bottle shop with a large bottle of Nutbrown. Very good and my style. So I took a chance on a case of Mocha Porter, and really enjoy it. They have a clean approach to their beers (with the two I have tried) which I really enjoy. So who else likes their stuff? Next time, I'll probably pick up something else...any suggestions?
Hard to beat Kell's Irish Lager on a hot summer day. Appley crispness reigns in this refreshing brew.

It seems like the most easily obtained product in Cental and Eastern America is Dead Guy. We can get it at pretty much any liquor store in my area in WI, and it's good stuff. It says it's a Maibock style, and I don't know how close it is, but it's good. Kind of hard for me to describe though as I haven't had it in a while.
I found a bomber of their Shakespeare Stout a few weeks back and erally enjoyed that.
I've got a beer trade going to get a six pack of the Mocha Porter and I'm really looking forward to it.

Wolf said:
I've got a beer trade going to get a six pack of the Mocha Porter and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'd be interested to hear your perception of this. I will say it is very good, but leave it at that. I don't want to bias your tasting hehe.

I've had most of Rogue's ales, either on tap or bottles & they are consistently good. The Pacman yeast has much to do with the clean flavor. I'd put Mocha Porter at the top of my porter list. Austin homebrew has a clone recipe that is so close, that I dumped the porter recipe I'd been working for several years and just make theirs.

david_42 said:
The Pacman yeast has much to do with the clean flavor.

That is what I was wondering about, probably process as well I would guess. I find it interesting as I am really getting more into this, how my whole perception of beer has changed so much in the past few months. This all comes from actually getting involved in the process. I always loved good beer, but it just takes time to really search out what you like. Man I almost cracked up when I pulled into the distributor where I picked it up. There was a Miller truck and I never noticed the slogan before "Champagne of Beers".

Again, buy the Pacman now. Next week is its last week being offered.

I wonder what brewer will offer up their yeast next?

Cheesefood said:
Again, buy the Pacman now. Next week is its last week being offered.

I wonder what brewer will offer up their yeast next?

Oh yeah, I recall reading that in one of you posts....who's carrying it online?

I like many of the Rogue brews and they are easily available in my area. I was a bit underwhelmed by the current release of Santa's Private Reserve though.

Wyeast has a limited release of the pacman yeast...just moved my first batch made with it to the secondary and I am planning a post-xmas batch #2 :)

Edit: Btw, any rogue fans in the philly burbs might want to check and see what the drafting room in ambler has on draught. Last time I was there, they were serving a limited release porter.

I love all of Rogues beers but if you can find it and deal with the $13.00 a bottle price tag the Rogue imperial pilsner is fantastic

What's the going price for a 22 of Dead Guy in your area? The cheapest I could find it used to be around $4.49 at BevMo. Then I found out that my local grocery store carries it for only $2.69! :rockin: I've never seen it remotely close to that price, anywhere! I'm hoping that it's not a mix up and they figure out that they can sell it for over $4 a bottle.

Brewsmith said:
What's the going price for a 22 of Dead Guy in your area? The cheapest I could find it used to be around $4.49 at BevMo. Then I found out that my local grocery store carries it for only $2.69! :rockin: I've never seen it remotely close to that price, anywhere! I'm hoping that it's not a mix up and they figure out that they can sell it for over $4 a bottle.

I used to buy a lot of my beers from supermarkets in Scotland, they can be cheaper due to the bulk buying power that they have. In case it is a mistake and you like the beer just go and buy it all. :D

zoebisch01 said:
I'd be interested to hear your perception of this. I will say it is very good, but leave it at that. I don't want to bias your tasting hehe.

Well, I'm a lousy reviewer, I guess I don't have a real 'refined' palate, I just know what I like, and this I like!
The mocha is a very, VERY bittersweet chocolate taste, and it's hoppier than I'm used to in a Porter, but the hop bitterness and the coffee/mocha bitterness blend together extemely well, so well that it took me some time to discern the difference.

Wolf said:
Well, I'm a lousy reviewer, I guess I don't have a real 'refined' palate, I just know what I like, and this I like!
The mocha is a very, VERY bittersweet chocolate taste, and it's hoppier than I'm used to in a Porter, but the hop bitterness and the coffee/mocha bitterness blend together extemely well, so well that it took me some time to discern the difference.

Ok, for me (aside from what you mention), I find the dark roasted malts to push this closer to the 'stout' portion of the spectrum. The hoppiness is nicely balanced though so that it is still satisfying as a Porter when you are in the mood for one. What I mean to say is, if I want a hoppy beer I don't grab for a Porter lol, but this works nicely and they did a great job with it.

I regularly drink the Dead Guy when I can find it and its great. Haven't really tried their other stuff yet, but I've seen a few bottles at the bottle shop I intend to try soon...

SilkkyBrew said:
I regularly drink the Dead Guy when I can find it and its great. Haven't really tried their other stuff yet, but I've seen a few bottles at the bottle shop I intend to try soon...

Nittany. :D

I have about 6 cases or Rogue brew in my garage and have tried every beer they make. It's nice to live an hour and a half away and go up there for work often. My favorites are the Nut Brown, Sweet Chocolate, and the Imperial youngers special bitter.
the only commercial brew I drink are Rogue and Bridgeport, with the occasional Dos Equis on mexican night:D

Dan

Monk Madness.

Ok I am not sure what to think about this beer. First off, it is not a bad beer by any strech of the imagination. It comes in about 65 IBU but still has a fair amount of balance. The thing that throws me in this is twofold...for one the name is "Monk Madness" which kind of gets my mind frame in a 'traditional' Monk brewery type beer. This is a Belgian Ale from what I can tell. The thing about the name that throws me is tied into the second thing which is the addition of Amarillo hops. The Grapefruit characteristic, although not up front, lingers. I don't know what to think about it truthfully. Would I buy it again, probably not...but I would drink it if offered. Perhaps the 'Madness' part of the name is well placed?

Ok, the bottle I had said 65 IBU, but the site says 108?

I hope they start bottling and selling the "Brewer" beer. The hoppiest and most delicious beer I've had in a long time.

Dan

I've got a bottle of brewer from the Anniversary series. Are you going to the Brewer Memorial Beer Fest at the brewery in May? I'll be there!

Brewtopia said:
I've got a bottle of brewer from the Anniversary series. Are you going to the Brewer Memorial Beer Fest at the brewery in May? I'll be there!
I will most certainly be there!

Dan

I just bought my first sixer of Rogue beer the other day. Never heard of them, but my first batch of home brew is a red ale, and I saw the Rogue red ale so I snagged it to see what mine will hopefully sort of taste like. I hope my beer is half as good as Rogue's, I'll be happy.

Reusable bottles as well, can't go wrong at all.

Latest posts

Back