Roggenbier with fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulptastic

Reaction score
I've read that Roggenbiers can have fruity flavors from the yeast, but has anyone done one with added fruit? I am thinking adding 2 oz orange zest for the last 5-10 minutes of boil along with an ounce of citra or centennial (a citrusy hop to complement the orange zest). I am considering dry hopping with another ounce of zest and an ounce of the same hop.

Also, orange and ginger seem to go well together, any thoughts on putting both into a Roggen? I am thinking a small amount for 30 minutes in the boil to get the flavor without the bite, a 1/4 lb or less.

As for the grain bill, I am looking at something like
25% flaked rye
25% malted rye
40% munich
10% carapils
lots of rice hulls!

I would shoot for a mild OG of 1.045 or so, and use a hefe yeast or maybe a roggen yeast.

I think the ginger may be taking it too far, but am really liking the sound of the orange zest. For now I am just testing ideas, this brew isn't on the schedule until march most likely. I want to have it in time to celebrate the birth of my son in May! For something this experimental, I will probably brew a more traditional backup plan either just before or just after, just in case :mug:

After a little more reading, it looks like flaked rye adds body similar to flaked barley, wheat, etc. I will probably cut it down to 10% flaked rye 40% malted rye. Some extra body will be nice for a low gravity beer, but I don't want to go overkill.

Back