Roggenbier water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firestorm159

Reaction score
Brewing a Roggenbier tomorrow and I was wondering how to treat the water.
Its basically a dunkel recipe that I am replacing the wheat for rye. Should I treat the water the same as if it were a dunkel?

i did mine with a Berlin water profile. Mine turned out fantastic. Be sure to use plenty of rice hulls I used a half pound and the run-off was very slow. A whole pound would have been a better idea.

I ended up using the boiled Munich profile witch is the same I use for my Dunkel. I used a pound of rice hulls and I didnt have any issues.

Very glad to hear that you didn't have any issues with run-off. What was your rye percentage? We had 50% rye and it took a little more than an hour with the valve wide open, normally we shoot for about 36 minutes or 1 gallon every 6 minutes.

It was 53.4% rye. I definitely didn't want any issues so I went ahead and used a pound of rice hulls and it drained really quick. When I drain my mash tun I don't shoot for any specific flow rate I just open it up and let it drain. For the most part I pretty much always hit my numbers so never saw a benefit in draining it really slow.

Back