Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Rodeo Clown All-Citra RyePA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayFrae

Homebrew Enthusiast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1172
Yeast Starter
2L or Yeast Cake
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 62°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Great tropical fruit flavors balanced nicely with the spicey rye notes.
This recipe uses Payette Brewery's Rodeo Rye Pale Ale as inspiration. It is not a clone recipe.

I have worked hard at perfecting this recipe and it is now to the point that I brew it about every other brew day because it is gone so quickly.

Water:
9 gallons RO (I usually boil off 2 gallons with my equipment; adjust as necessary)
16 grams Gypsum
2.7 grams CaCl
1.4 grams Epsom Salt

Grain Bill:
8 lbs Pale 2-row
2 lbs Rye Malt
2 lbs Flaked Rye
8 oz Caramel 60L

Mash at 150°F for 90 minutes. (60 min is probably fine.)

Hops Schedule (8 oz Citra pellets):
0.25 oz 60 min
0.25 oz 20 min
0.5 oz 15 min
0.5 oz 10 min
0.5 oz 5 min
At Flameout Chill to 180°F and add 2 oz and steep for 30 min then finish chilling.
4.0 oz Dry Hop 5-7 days before packaging

I also always add a teaspoon of Irish Moss with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Add 2L yeast starter of Wyeast 1272 (It looks like I accidentally put 1172 above) or yeast cake from previous batch (My preferred option.) and ferment at 62°F until beer reaches final gravity (1.012 for me usually). I don't use secondary vessels.

Dry Hop with 4 oz for 5-7 days and then package your beer!

Enjoy!

This is my favorite beer to brew. All the Citra makes it a more expensive brew but it is absolutely worth it.

Let me know if you have any questions!

19FOGZu.jpg

Here is a grainy picture of Rodeo Clown (left) and it's inspriation Rodeo (right).

Nope haha, I had no idea there was an existing beer named Rodeo Clown.

No worries. I've actually been looking around for a good Rye beer recipe. And I love Citra. May have to try this. I'm a pretty inexperienced brewer and am not familiar with the yeast you're using. Could I sub either S-04 or US-05? I'm way more comfortable with dry yeast.

No worries. I've actually been looking around for a good Rye beer recipe. And I love Citra. May have to try this. I'm a pretty inexperienced brewer and am not familiar with the yeast you're using. Could I sub either S-04 or US-05? I'm way more comfortable with dry yeast.

Yeah you can definitely sub either of those. Wyeast 1272 is a slightly tart almost nutty yeast. It drops out very nicely and forms a nice compact yeast cake.

I have brewed this beer with Nottingham yeast and it turned out very nice so I think S-04 would do well also. I find that US-05 doesn't drop out very well so I tend not to use it.

Yeah you can definitely sub either of those. Wyeast 1272 is a slightly tart almost nutty yeast. It drops out very nicely and forms a nice compact yeast cake.

I have brewed this beer with Nottingham yeast and it turned out very nice so I think S-04 would do well also. I find that US-05 doesn't drop out very well so I tend not to use it.

I've used mostly US-05, and you're right that my beers don't come out very clear. (if that's what you mean by not dropping out) I've been looking at other recipes that call for S-04 and wanting to try it. Maybe this is the one.

I've used mostly US-05, and you're right that my beers don't come out very clear. (if that's what you mean by not dropping out) I've been looking at other recipes that call for S-04 and wanting to try it. Maybe this is the one.

Yeah that is what I mean. My stomach is very sensitive to yeast so I don't like using yeasts that have low-medium flocculation. They also don't make very pretty beers. Usually this beer comes out pretty clear but my last batch was very cloudy. I have another batch fermenting right now so we will see how clear it ends up.

I think S-04 would be just fine for this beer.

If you do brew this recipe please let me know how it turns out for you!

I'll admit, I too thought this was Rodeo Clown by Karbauch when I clicked the link but I'll have to give this a try. Looks good!

This sounds like an interesting recipie, but 90ibu from just .25oz of citra? That doesn't sound right. I'm on my phone right now, so I can't plug it into beersmith, but that's impossible, right?

This sounds like an interesting recipie, but 90ibu from just .25oz of citra? That doesn't sound right. I'm on my phone right now, so I can't plug it into beersmith, but that's impossible, right?

There is more like 80 IBU in this recipe, I had the hop stand set for 60 min in BeerSmith by accident when I actually do a 30 min steep. There is a total of 4 oz of Citra used in the kettle in this recipe and 4 oz used to dry hop.

So you're counting a lot of the IBUs from the hop stand? I didn't think it was supposed to add that much to the bitterness, but just increase flavor and aroma. Guess I might have to try this out myself.

So you're counting a lot of the IBUs from the hop stand? I didn't think it was supposed to add that much to the bitterness, but just increase flavor and aroma. Guess I might have to try this out myself.

Yeah BeerSmith calculates like 37 IBU from the 30 min hop stand. If you try this recipe let me know how it turns out for you!

I have a batch fermenting right now and I am trying out Clarity Ferm for the first time with this batch. I will post the results when it is finished.

For sure. I'm going to the brewstore tonight to stock up, although I plan on changing the 2-row to all vienna, and probably use US-05. Same hop schedule, though. I also BIAB, with no sparge, so I'll update you. Thanks!

I have been wanting to try some Citra, but it is way overpriced at the moment. Is it THAT good?

I have been wanting to try some Citra, but it is way overpriced at the moment. Is it THAT good?

I love it. It is THAT good. It is one of my favorite varieties of hops. I buy it by the pound to save some money since I brew this beer so much.

Back