Rod forward imperial red recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikebrian84

Reaction score
Going to try my hand at a hop forward Imperial red, let me know what you think, any suggestions I would appreciate

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.41 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Efficiency: 65.00 %

15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 74.1 %
4 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 19.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.5 %
4.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt (175.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.2 %
1.50 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 6 64.2 IBUs
1.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 6.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 7.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 11 3.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 12 5.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 13 6.6 IBUs
1.10 tsp Yeast Nutrient

Est Original Gravity: 1.087 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.9 %
Bitterness: 95.9 IBUs
Est Color: 16.9 SRM
-
Mash at 152 60 mins
Yeast WLP 007

Let me know what you think!

Looks tasty! Were it me, I would probably mash a little lower but only because I prefer a drier hop forward beer and you have 1lb of caramel in there (not that I think that's too high for your grain bill). 152 isn't too high though and I'm sure it'll be great at that temp as well.

Good luck!

This is going to be more of a dark Amber than a red. I've made almost the exact same beer (regular chocolate) and the color isn't red. Still great beer, just different color than what you might be thinking. If that matters.

Also, the citra seems bit odd to me because it has tendency to overpower other hops. I used chinook in mine with the other Cs, came out great. Very much a west coast style hop flavor profile to it. My other concern with citra is that you'll be getting fruitiness from it as well as the centennial, might be a bit much on that note.

There's only one way to tell though, so let us know how it comes out!

I'd second dropping the mash temp a bit. I recently did an IPA with a higher mash temp and really wished I had done it in the 150 range.

For the whirlpool additions, you might consider starting your chiller and lowering the temp to either 200ish or 170ish. BYO or Zymurgy did some experimenting and found that different things happen at those temps.

Finally *obligatory dry-rodding and rodstsnding wisecrack* ain't autocorrect grand?

Thanks for the critiques, I am definitely going to mash at 150 now that I think about it.

Im going to see how the color on this one comes out, and see what kind of adjustments I have to make for the next batch.

Im looking to replace the citra with Amarillo or this Chinook, still deciding on which one, I think the chinook would add some spicyness and dankiness it might be missing.

Will let you guys know when I finish brewing this how it turns out. Ridiculous that my phone auto corrects from hop haha.

I do my hopstands at about 170, and leave them for 10-30 minutes usually. I am hoping for a fairly hoppy big complex beer, wondering if this si going to be enough hops, thats my main concern right now.

yes, that's the word. dankness. i thought it went really well with the maltiness, thats something that citra definitely doesnt provide. it could still be good though. but the chinook will definitely push it over towards that pacific NW/ west coast hoppiness profile.

Latest posts

Back