Rocking Keggle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadabrew

Reaction score
Not sure if this is an issue or how I can fix it but essentially the bottom of the keg I just picked up it deeper than the rim meaning it kind of rocks around.

Not a big deal but wondered if anyone had encountered this before. Was this a design fault or did someone purposefully make the underneath deeper/rounder for some reason?

Thanks!:mug:

The pics will help explain what I mean. It's obviously been used for brewing before.

image-2945623128.jpg

image-4242961394.jpg

image-898538249.jpg

I guess I just want to flatten in a little with out making imperfections in the bottom that stuff can get stuck in, right?

From what I can see it looks like the rim may have been bent out. If this is true try to straighten it and that should solve the problem.

three options I see: use a hammer to flatten it out, or add some supports to the bottom to help avoid the bulge so that the keggle rests on the supports and the supports rest on the burner. or get a burner that will accommodate your existing keggle.

I guess another thing to do would be to try to drop it on a concrete floor to try to create a flat bottom without hammer marks.

I guess I just want to flatten in a little with out making imperfections in the bottom that stuff can get stuck in, right?

Ideally you want:

A non-wobbly keggle
A metal layer in between the wort + flame to prevent spillage

Oh. Wear safety goggles and make sure that the bottom rim has been punctured to de-pressurize. We don't want the keg "swinging back", per se.

So last night I sat it on my turkey fryer and due to the design of the propane burner the slight dip sits right in the middle and the rim sits perfectly on the stand.

So I guess I don't have a problem apart from the slight rocking on flat ground but no where near enough to ever worry about it tipping etc.

Thanks for all the comments

Tim

So last night I sat it on my turkey fryer and due to the design of the propane burner the slight dip sits right in the middle and the rim sits perfectly on the stand.

So I guess I don't have a problem apart from the slight rocking on flat ground but no where near enough to ever worry about it tipping etc.

Thanks for all the comments

Tim

Keep on rocking, Tim.:mug:

Latest posts

Back