Rochefort 10 Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gio

Reaction score
Here is a Rochefort 10 clone recipe that I've been working on. I'm planning on brewing it this weekend. It was made by compiling information from BLAM, the brewing network's radio show on Rochefort, and various other Rochefort clones on the net.

12lb Belgian Pilsner
1lb Flaked Wheat
1.125lb CaraVienne
1.125lb CaraMunich
0.25lb Carafa III
2.25lb D2 Belgian Candi Syrup
1.5lb Amber Belgian Candi Syrup

6 AAU Styrian Goldings (80min)
4 AAU Hallertauer Hersbrucker (10min)
0.5oz Coriander (10min)
Servomyces (10min)
Irish Moss (10min)

Wyeast 1762

Decoction mash
122 (rest 10 min)
153 (rest 60 min)
170 (mashout)

Recipe Volume: 5.5 gallons
Boil Time: 90 min
OG: 1.098
FG: 1.014
ABV: 11.2%
IBU: 27
SRM: 44

Pitch yeast at 68, let rise to 73, when fermentation is near complete, rack to secondary, cold condition for 6+ weeks, repitch yeast and add sugar and bottle condition.

Here is what I know about Rochefort 10 and some notes regarding this recipe:

- Pilsner and belgian caramel malts are the grains used (according to BLAM and Sean Paxton). CaraVienne and CaraMunich are two possible belgian caramel malt choices. They only use one belgian caramel malt but which one they use is a secret so I figured it would be best to use a little of each (Sean Paxton does the same in his clone).
- Carafa III is used mainly for some color (the candi syrup isn't dark enough alone) and for some aroma and body and flavor stability.
- It isn't possible to get the real light and dark candy sugar used by Rochefort and I feel that D2 and amber candi syrup are the highest quality and closest we can get.
- Sugars are reportedly 20% of the fermentables (as they are in my recipe)
- Rochefort says they use wheat starch (used to be corn) which should add some dryness and some head retention and body. Sean Paxton says it is about 5% of the fermentables (as it is my recipe).
- Sean Paxton claims they use 3 step mash is used with a protein rest at 122 and a saccharification rest in the "mid-low 150s". 153 seemed to be a good number in the mid-low 150s.
- While Rochefort likely doesn't use a decoction mash, I've found that decoction mashes give better efficiency, better flavor, and better fementability for a minimal amount of additional effort.
- The bittering hops are the "traditional belgian hops". I'm guessing Styrian Goldings. The flavor hops are a German hop. I'm guessing Hallertauer Hersbrucker. The hops are fairly subtle in this beer so those guesses are likely close enough if they aren't correct.
- Rochefort centrifuges and bottles rather quickly but since most homebrewers don't have access to a centrifuge, 6 weeks of cold conditioning should suffice.
- A starter should be used, but should be slightly under-pitched in order to get the yeast to produce the desire esters.
- Still not sure on the amount of flavor hops vs bittering hops but IBUs should be 27 according to BLAM.
- I'm tempted to pitch colder at 65 and let rise to 80 as I do with Westmalle yeast but I'm not sure if that will work with Rochefort yeast or if I'll get horrible fusel alcohols. For now, I'll try 68-73 as Rochefort does.
- Rochefort ferments beers on top of older beers. I wonder if this is possible to replicate by starting with pitching into just 1/4 of the wort and adding an additional 1/4 more wort each day for three days. Probably not worth experimenting with this on the first attempt but might help with attenuation.

Interested in hearing any comments anyone might have.

Sounds like a great recipe, backed by some good research. Nothing to do now but brew it and compare.

Let us know the results - this is probably my favorite Trappist beer.

Sounds like a great recipe, backed by some good research. Nothing to do now but brew it and compare.

Let us know the results - this is probably my favorite Trappist beer.

Thanks. It's my favorite trappist beer too although I haven't ever had a Westvleteren.

Looks awesome. I'm a big fan of BLAM also. Let us know how it turns out.

I'll have to dig up that old BN episode and give it another listen.

Brewed this this past weekend. Here is the final version of the recipe I came up with and ended up using:

11.25lb Belgian Pilsner
1.0lb Flaked Wheat
1.5lb CaraVienne
1.5lb CaraMunich
0.25lb Belgian Debittered Black
1.5lb Amber Belgian Candi Syrup (10min)
2.25lb D2 Belgian Candi Syrup (10min)
0.25oz Crushed Coriander (10min)
4tsp Yeast Nutrient (10min)
1/2tsp Irish Moss
8 AAU Styrian Goldings (80min)
4 AAU Hallertauer Hersbrucker (10min)
Wyeast 1762 Rochefort
Batch size: 5.5 gallons
OG: 1.098 (75% efficiency)
FG: 1.014 (estimated)
IBU: 27
SRM: 45
Boil time: 90min

Enhanced Double Decoction Mash
- mash in @ 104, rest 5 min
- decoct, heat removed mash to 122, rest 10min
- heat removed mash to 155-162, rest 15-20min
- boil removed mash for 10-20min
- add in enough boiling mash to hit protein rest @ 122, rest 15-20min
- add in remaining boiling mash to hit 153, rest 60min
- decoct and boil removed mash for 10-20min
- add in removed mash to hit mash out @ 170, rest 15min
- sparge @ 170
- boil 90 min, follow hop/sugar schedule
- pitch yeast @66-68 let rise to 73-75 naturally, ferment for 2 weeks
- transfer to secondary, cold condition @ 50 for at least 6 weeks
- repitch more yeast, carbonate to 3.75 vols in bottles

The actual decoction amounts can be calculated using one of decoction calculators out there. I brewed a 3.3 gallon version of this recipe so my numbers are different. I chose Belgian debittered black over Carafa III as it was less bitter and I liked the taste more. Also it had "Belgian" in the same so I figured it might be more authentic :).

It was a long day as it took 7 1/2 hours to brew but I am very happy with the results. I hit the OG spot on at exactly 1.098. My efficiency was actually above 85% which seems typical with the decoction mashes I've done, so I ended up with about 4 gallons wort. I pitched a 1.5 liter starter at 64 degrees which is a little colder than I had hoped but I think it should be ok. I also racked a Westvleteren 12 clone the day before I brewed 2 weeks ago to secondary that had a similar recipe and it tastes amazing so far. I really think the belgian candi syrup makes a huge difference in these Belgians as does the correct (usually warmer) fermentation temperatures.

A week after pitching it's still in the primary and the gravity is at 1.018 so it's right on track for where it should be. Tastes great so far. Very alcoholic as it is nearly 11% ABV already and very young. I leave it in the primary another week then rack it to the secondary for aging.

Did you add any sugar to the fermentation, or did it all go in the kettle?

Nope, all sugar was added with 10 minutes left in the boil. I've never had trouble with my Belgian quads hitting their target gravities within a week or two. I think the trick is to pitch the correct sized starter and ferment at the right temperature (usually cool and gradually warming).

I've done the same with all my sugar additions - right in the kettle.

But this past weekend I made a IIPA with 10% sugar, and I was thinking I'd really like to add the sugar after a day or two of fermentation. In the end, I couldn't figure out how to get 1.3# of sugar into the fermentor without adding a bunch of diluting water with it. I didn't want to bring the IBUs down at all, so I just added to the boil.

Overall 10% isn't a big deal, but I'm thinking for when I make a giganto beer with like 6# of sugar. I guess just using dextrose is the way to go there.

I've done the same with all my sugar additions - right in the kettle.

But this past weekend I made a IIPA with 10% sugar, and I was thinking I'd really like to add the sugar after a day or two of fermentation. In the end, I couldn't figure out how to get 1.3# of sugar into the fermentor without adding a bunch of diluting water with it. I didn't want to bring the IBUs down at all, so I just added to the boil.

Overall 10% isn't a big deal, but I'm thinking for when I make a giganto beer with like 6# of sugar. I guess just using dextrose is the way to go there.

What I've heard people have done in the past when they need to add huge amounts of sugar is to carefull siphon out some of the wort from the fermenter, add the sugar to that, and then add it back to the fermenter. It's a bit of work and you have to make sure everything is sanitized but you don't have to worry about diluting your beer. It's easier with a conical fermenter (not that I have one) because you can just use the top spigot.

But even still, just about the only sugar that easily dissolves is dextrose. I used plain ol' granulated sugar in my IIPA. There's no way it would completely dissolve in 65* wort.

Plus, I frequently make my own caramelized sugar for trappist beers but I don't want to dump 350* sugar right into the wort.

I think it's dextrose or in the boil - those are the main options.

But even still, just about the only sugar that easily dissolves is dextrose. I used plain ol' granulated sugar in my IIPA. There's no way it would completely dissolve in 65* wort.

Plus, I frequently make my own caramelized sugar for trappist beers but I don't want to dump 350* sugar right into the wort.

I think it's dextrose or in the boil - those are the main options.

I always use corn sugar which is I believe is dextrose, right?

You can boil the wort and then cool it back down before adding it back in. The sugar should stay in solution. The recipes I've seen for adding large amounts of sugar post-pitching (like the dogfish head 120min IPA clone) add a little bit of sugar at a time, like twice a day for 2-3 weeks!

This has been in secondary for two weeks now. When I first transferred it to the secondary, it had a strong alcoholic taste which now has greatly faded.

Presently, after two weeks, I'm struck by how strong of a fruity aroma it has. It's not quite the dried plum aroma I get from Rochefort but almost like a sour cherry aroma. The taste is fruity, very malty, slightly sweet, and much smoother than when it was transferred. It still has a long time left in the secondary and I'm looking forward to see how it develops.

Compared to the Westvleteren 12 clone I made which is two weeks older, it didn't seem as complex at first tasting, but it's certainly been developing complexity as it is conditioning in the secondary.

I'll be rocking this today:

Gravity Before Boil: 1.084 SG (21.6 Brix)
Original Gravity: 1.105 SG (26.7 Brix)
Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (12.7 Brix)

Volume Before Boil: 7.50 US gals
Volume After Boil: 6.00 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.50 US gals
Water Added To Dilute: 0.0 qts
Volume At Pitching: 5.50 US gals
Volume Of Finished Beer: 5.00 US gals

16lb 0oz of Belgian Pilsen Malt
2lb 2oz of Belgian Caramel Munich Malt 60
2lb 0oz of Sugar - Candi Sugar Dark
1lb 0oz of Sugar - Candi Sugar Pale
12.00 oz of Belgian Special B
6.00 oz of German Carafa Special III

1.00 oz of German Hallertauer Hersbrucker (60 Min From End)
1.00 oz of Slovenian Styrian Goldings (50 Min From End)
1.00 oz of Slovenian Styrian Goldings (30 Min From End)
1.00 oz of German Hallertauer Hersbrucker (10 Min From End)

0.16 oz of Coriander Seed
0.01 oz of Seeds of Paradise
Yeast Nutrient
.5 Whirfloc Tablet

2L Starter WLP 530 (couldn't acquire 1762 in time)

surferdrew said:
I'll be rocking this today:

Gravity Before Boil: 1.084 SG (21.6 Brix)
Original Gravity: 1.105 SG (26.7 Brix)
Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (12.7 Brix)

Volume Before Boil: 7.50 US gals
Volume After Boil: 6.00 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.50 US gals
Water Added To Dilute: 0.0 qts
Volume At Pitching: 5.50 US gals
Volume Of Finished Beer: 5.00 US gals

16lb 0oz of Belgian Pilsen Malt
2lb 2oz of Belgian Caramel Munich Malt 60
2lb 0oz of Sugar - Candi Sugar Dark
1lb 0oz of Sugar - Candi Sugar Pale
12.00 oz of Belgian Special B
6.00 oz of German Carafa Special III

1.00 oz of German Hallertauer Hersbrucker (60 Min From End)
1.00 oz of Slovenian Styrian Goldings (50 Min From End)
1.00 oz of Slovenian Styrian Goldings (30 Min From End)
1.00 oz of German Hallertauer Hersbrucker (10 Min From End)

0.16 oz of Coriander Seed
0.01 oz of Seeds of Paradise
Yeast Nutrient
.5 Whirfloc Tablet

2L Starter WLP 530 (couldn't acquire 1762 in time)

Just finished this...ended up with 6 gallons at 1.100. Looks like mud...

Last minute, decided to make a small beer out of the final runnings...hopped to 25 IBUs with same hops. Ended up with 3 gallons at 1.045 and pitched some washed WLP500 that I had. I guess this would be a Belgian Single?

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd share how I added sugar to primary. I took 5# of sugar and boiled down in enough water to dissolve it and continued boiling it down until it was a rather thick syrup. I then poured 2oz (equivalent to 1/2# sugar into 10 1/2 pint canning jars that I sterilized and sealed them up. Starting on day 2, I added one of the jars for ten days. This was a 120 IPA, was shooting for 18% but only could get to 15.1%. Between taking daily SG, thowing in sugar, pitching yeast 3 times, it took about 38 days in primary, biggest pain in the butt beer I ever made (or close seconf to ST Pumking Ale), been in bottles for 3 months no and no carb yet, brewer from Great Lakes said it could take years???? That don't make me happy.

Aww... would have been nice after all that to hear how it turned out. Guess I will have to perform my own trial and error.

You just need pils, some caramunich, and the darkest syrup. 2lbs per 5gal. Use the Roch strain. Pitch cool (62) and let it finish out up to 72degF. You've got me wanting to make this again!

Thanks guys! Didn't see any of this in my searches so far. Going to get the 540 now... Cheers!
:rockin:

Thans again. I was looking for the 540 and discovered it is a seasonal offering from WL (July thru Aug). Looks like I can order the 1762 now.

I seriously doubt the monks have or even produce all those grains, Im sure its good beer but I doubt its cloned, Im betting 2 grains and sugar is it, one close to 2 row and the other the same grain roasted

Nope, these are actually very close to the grains they use.

I made the recipe after listening to a podcast where they interview one of the brewers at Rochefort (maybe even the head brewer). I feel like it was on "Can You Brew It" but it was a long time ago (5+ years). I'll see if I can find the podcast again.

There is a part where he says what grains they use. A belgian caramel grain, flaked wheat, and belgian pilsner, of course. Carafa III might have been a guess as to what the very dark grain was, I don't remember. I think half caravienne and half caramunich was chosen because no one knows which one they actually use.

At the end of the podcast the brewer was asked if Rochefort 10 could be made at home. He said "no", but it didn't stop me from trying. I'm reasonably confident my recipe is as close to authentic, in terms of process and ingredients as you can get.

One thing I remember from the interview is that every time they brew, they throw the fresh wort on top of already fermenting wort. I'm sure that this create unique flavors that are unable to replicate at home.

Another interesting part of the interview was that the brewer was able to take any bottle of Rochefort 10 made and tell you what year it came from.

So how did that original brew turn out? Have you tweaked the recipe any more? When was the last time you brewed it? Inquiring minds want to know :D

So how did that original brew turn out? Have you tweaked the recipe any more? When was the last time you brewed it? Inquiring minds want to know :D

I last brewed it a few years ago. It was pretty close but not exact. And not quite as good as Rochefort 10.

I once hosted a Belgian beer tasting where my friends and I tasted about a dozen different Belgian quads. My favorite was Rochefort 10 (I did not have a Westvleteren 12 at that time) followed closely by beers like St Bernardus Abt 12 and Pannepot. I would my put Rocehfort 10 attempt somewhere in the 2nd tier of quads, with beers like La Trappe Quad, Allagash Four, Smuttynose Gravitation (I live in New England). It was good but lacked that really deep fruity/malty richness that Rochefort 10 has. I think my recipe is good but my process could have been better. At the time I was mashing in a 5g cooler which meant I was unable to do more than a 3 gallon batch for such a high gravity beer. I also did not have the technique nor the equipment that I have now.

Not long after I brewed my last Rochefort 10 attempt I moved to a location where I wasn't able to brew for a couple of years. But I recently bought a condo, had a 240v line installed in my kitchen and built a new induction brewing system. I plan on brewing the Rochefort 10 again in a month or two but I need to upgrade my system a little more first. Namely, I want to be able to add oxygen to the wort while racking to the fermenter. I'm also not going to bother with decoction mashes anymore as I've come to feel they are a waste of time and it is more useful to focus on other parts of the process.

Found the podcast:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post1776/

I think this is the slide show that goes along with it:

http://www.theilenphotography.com/old-hbc/Inside_Rochefort.pdf

It doesn't have an interview but they recount their visit to the brewery.

Also, definitely check out "Brew Like a Monk" if you haven't already.

Latest posts

Back