robust Porter still attenuating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatsachs

Reaction score
So I've got a robust porter that's by my calculations and the rooftop brew abv calculator is at 7.2% abv and still attenuating. Nottingham pitched with a SG of 1.068 @ 80 deg F (can't get down to 70 deg for some reason). The gravity reading I took today is 1.014 @ 70F but the airlock is still going at 1 burp every 2 minutes. I don't want it any hotter or dryer than this really, so what can I do? Also what reasons would cause this guy to go this far? Too many fermentables? By the recipe it should finish at around 1.017 and 6.5% abv but I've surpassed that obviously.

Its done when the gravity is stable...bubbling means little as an indicator of active fermentation.

Take gravity readings over the course of 4 days. Once a day. If it's the same all four days, you're done. Your beer probably has some dissolved CO2 in it that's coming out of solution.

Back