Roasted Grains/Stuck mash problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedonist91

Reaction score
Hey all,

Every time I do a stout I seem to have an issue with my HERMS. I'll start by stating I've never had a stuck mash with hefs, ipas, pales, and even pumpkin ales with pumpkin in the mash itself.

All of my stouts up until now have had flaked oats in them, so that could be part of it, but I was wondering if anyone has had problems with heavily roasted grains like chocolate malt and black malt. It seems they come out of my mill totally pulverized into almost a powder, with a sugar-ish coarseness, even while the rest of the grains, like 2-row, come out with the proper crush.

Also, while observing the HERMS in action, I've noticed that tiny pieces of the grain are making it completely through the HERMS coil and back into the mash. This last time i brewed I didn't have a stuck mash but I could see the flow slowing down, and I knocked hard on the false bottom to knock loose any built-up stuff, and the flow strengthened again. Seems to be the story whenever I do a stout, I don't get it. The only thing I can think of is the roasted grain, seeing as how it makes it through the false bottom.

Anyone else notice the issue with the crushing?....hmm...i suppose i could crush them at a coarser setting, separate from everything else....

Thanks!

Have you tried adding rice hauls to the mash tun. I have a HERMS and from time to time I see the flow slowing, stopping, I let it rest and restart. My last brew day, I think my false bottem was not screwed tight enough allowing to lift up a bit... seriously try the rice hauls. I let them soak in warm water first then add them before I start mashing.

Have you tried adding rice hauls to the mash tun. I have a HERMS and from time to time I see the flow slowing, stopping, I let it rest and restart. My last brew day, I think my false bottem was not screwed tight enough allowing to lift up a bit... seriously try the rice hauls. I let them soak in warm water first then add them before I start mashing.

Hi! Thanks for reply-
Yeah I tried rice hulls but I have mixed results. Turns out I was using them improperly, so I'll give them another go.

Also, I've had problems with the loose false bottom in the past, so I made sure on the last one that it was all good and tight. I'll have to try out the hulls in their proper amount and in the proper way to see if that would work.

I soak choc and black malt in water at 75 deg C then drain through a sieve. I let that liquor stand in a tall jug for 2 hours then remove the top clear layer, and filter the rest through a very fine cloth. I then add it to the boil (last 20 minutes)

Back