RO Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever sent a sample of RO water to Ward labs for Analyst? I am just wondering what minerial content would be left in the water after the RO process.

RO removes about 98% of particulate and other matter. (We use them heavily in reef aquariums). To get effectivly 100% removal, you need to add a dionizing bed to the filter, but I don't think DI water would be appropriate for brewing, RO should be more than sufficient.

-D

Brew-boy said:
I was more interested in if there are any minerals left in the water like Sodium, calcium, Magnesium.

Depends of the type of RO and the water being filtered. If you have an RO unit, the manual should say what average percentage of each mineral it removes. You can also get a water quality report from your water utility. I have had a couple of RO units and I did find that at least for a few minerals the removal percentage was quite different.

short answer is no, there are effectively no minerals left in the water. DI, as Llarian said, removes even more. If you choose to use RO/DI water you will want to adjust your water chemistry. It's not a bad thing as it gives you absolute control but it is something you will really want to work on if you go that route. Jim Palmer has a really section on water chemistry and adjustment in howtobrew.com

Yes I am starting into water chemistry thats why I am asking. I buy the RO water for .15 cents a gallon and wanted to know if I could consider it like distilled, which I think I can. I use Beer Tools pro and it is help me build my water profile to match a Pale ale profile.

yep, it's about as close to distilled as you'll find. You can, of course, buy a still and make your own distilled water!

Back