RO water overnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What happens to RO water if left overnight in an open container? I want to put my water in the HLT today so I dont have to mess with it tomorrow. Would it be ok if left open, should I put the lid on it?

Lid definitly. every time I leave something open a spider or something hops in. If I am venting chlorine I put a towel. I primary wines with a sanitized bandana held with a bungie cord. Breathes well, no bugs.

Unless you need a name and Arachnaphobia Ale sounds good....

Actually, I might use that for next Halloween....

Not many problems with bugs here and RO water shouldn't have any chlorine or cloramine. just wanted to know If it would change any if opened to air.

What happens to RO water if left overnight in an open container? I want to put my water in the HLT today so I dont have to mess with it tomorrow. Would it be ok if left open, should I put the lid on it?

Probably no problem unless you have lots of dust or some other stuff floating around in the air. And like you said, no bugs. Otherwise, nearly pure RO water won't change.

Then again, not really much trouble to put a lid on it, just in case...

Assuming one discounts "Death From Above!" contaminants...all that might happen is the pH may drop as the water absorbs CO2 from the atmosphere. It means literally nothing as there's no "power" behind that value in RO water (tds down in the single digits)...

Cheers!

I routinely fill my kettle with RO over the course of a few days leading up to brew day, so far so good.

One time I had it filled and ready but then because life, I pushed back brew day to the following weekend; that Saturday morning I checked on it and there were spots of black mold on the underside of the lid. I washed the lid thoroughly and still brewed with the water, confident in the fact that an hour-long boil would kill any spores. YMMV.

RO water is empty of any minerals and it wants as many as it can get. I once had life(got a call to make venny sausage)get in the way for 2 days and had filled both the BK and HLT. I use an induction stove and there is a blue ring that forms where the burner is. Well that was gone and super shiny. After brew day I repassivated it just in case. Now I add the salts to it before pumping it into stainless kettles.

Back