RO water adjustment critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuggethead

Reaction score
I'm trying to improve on my IPA's hop flavor and bitterness by adjusting RO water. I have previously only used bottled spring waters with barely acceptable results, so this is a first attempt using Bru'n Water. I'm leaning towards the more bitter side but not to high in Sulfate for a first try.

Starting with RO water and ion concentrations of "0" additions are:
10.5gal. total 5gal. mash/5.5gal. sparge

14.75# 2 row
.75# 60l
.50# carapils

Mash water: 6.8g Gypsum
2.5g CaCl

Sparge/Boil: 7.4g Gypsum
2.8g CaCl

CA/118
S04/199 Ratio3:1
Cl/63

Mg/0
Na/0
Mash PH/5.3

Does this appear close or am I not getting it..

The mineral additions are reasonable but I usually suggest starting with very low or no sulfate and then experimenting with sulfate in the glass to see what its flavor effects are.

Hop flavor and bitterness are determined by choice of hop cultivar, hopping level hops addition schedule and kettle pH - not by water chemistry (except through its effects on kettle pH) though sulfate does have an influence on how hop bitterness is perceived. Low sulfate ~ finer bitterness; high sulfate ~ coarse, dry bitterness.

Your mash pH estimate is pretty low. If you have unusually acidic 60L and cara with a base malt that has a low-end DI mash pH it might get that low but is more likely to be in the 5.5 - 5.65 band. 5.5 to 5.6 would be OK but a little sauermalz (2% perhaps) would probably be of benefit. You really need to check pH to be certain.

Thanks for the help. Just got the supporter version of the software and will be re-adjusting levels while dealing with the software learning curve. I have done a bit of reading on the effects of Sulfate as it relates to bittering and will be taking your advise and start at lower ppm levels and adjust from there. Probably in the <150ppm range.

Back