RO filter system not working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd planned to use my RO system for the first time today, but the weather has not been kind insofar as my outside faucet has a plug of ice in it (I'd left a hose attached - yes, I know...).

So I tried to run a 30' foot RV hose from an indoor faucet but no joy. I don't think that I have enough pressure to fill the system.

Can I use a chugger pump to take water from the hose and send it into the RO system? If so, what kind of attachments would I need (hose to pump; pump to RO system)?

Home RO systems are designed to operate a relatively normal water pressure between about 60 and 80 psi. Unless your water supply is under less than 60 psi, there is little need to boost the feed pressure. More importantly, a Chugger pump doesn't develop anywhere near the pressure needed to operate a RO system.

In the winter, the primary concern with RO operation is avoiding low feedwater temperature. RO process is strongly governed by water viscosity and cold water reduces the throughput of the RO process. You want to use the warmest water possible, to get good output from a RO system.

Great answer. Thank you. I think that I'll bring it inside (28 F outside and more than a foot of snow; my garage is about 38 F) and see if I can get it to work under more "normal" circumstances.

When I got my RO system this summer it seemed like a good idea to wait until later to check it out. Mother Nature did not agree, lol.

Back