River Brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustimus

Reaction score
My partner and I were thinking of running way up our local river to get some water for 10 gallons of IPA we're about to make. The river is the Smith River in northern cali. One of the cleanest in the world. We're going to be way way way upstream away from any 4 year olds practicing pee pee fights. Just wondering if the water is ok to brew with? I mean water is water right, but I am semi new to this and know that certain minerals may not be ok for the brewing process. I know this water wouldn't have chlroine and we would be boiling it of course, just curious I guess. Thanks guys.

:mug: Dustin

I would think that if you do bring the river water to a boil for the 60 min. you should be fine. There are live creatures that live in natural water, and that is what the clorine is killing. But if you feel comfortable drinking the water and it tastes good to you and does not make you sick, then it should be a good water supply.

Good luck.

A friend of mine uses creek water that is most definitely not among the cleanest in the world and his brews are great. Go for it.

Back