Risks of too cold a fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superslomo

Reaction score
I've got a carboy of Cider with Wyeast sweet mead, and three fermenters going now... two with S-05, and one with S-04.

The problem is that our house was quite cool over the weekend, with a power outage knocking the heat out (went down below 60) and our night-time temps are around 62 on the thermostat.

What are the possible risks... am I going to get a stuck fermentation on these batches, and how can I check the condition of them?

Do I assume that if it's attenuated within a certain range I'm in good shape? Trying to avoid having many bottle bombs in the basement, but don't want to wait overly long to bottle if these are actually nearly done.

FWIW, it's the NB extract smashing pumpkin, the NB Nukey, and the NB ESB kits respectively.

The cider is straight, locally pressed, UV treated with no preservatives, no added octane in the form of more concentrate/juice etc.

Thanks...

62-65 is actually where you want them during active fermentation. And the only way to avoid bottle bombs is to check with your hydrometer and see if it has stabilized over a couple of weeks.

Both of those yeasts list 59 degrees as the low end of the recommended range. So you should be fine.

My basement in the winter stays about 62-64 and it works great with those yeasts.

I had a similar question - I wanted to start fermentation of a strong Belgian ale in my basement. My basement temp has dropped down to 58 degrees though. I was hoping to ferment for a few days in the cold basement and then bring it upstairs to the heated main floor where the ambient temp stays around 70 degrees.

Is 58 too cold to start fermentation with either Wyeast or White Labs belgian ale yeasts? I'm afraid if I make the starter and pitch the yeast it won't get going at that temp.

And even if the temps dropped to near freezing in there, all that would happen is that the yeast would have gone dormant, until the temps warmed back up, then it would have woken up and gone back to work.

Yeast is pretty indestructable...the ONLY way you could kill it if you dropped it into boiling wort or froze everything solid and the cells burst.

You can't kill yeast just because it gets cold...it's just goes to SLEEP. That's not dead, that's stasis.....Hibernation.

If 45 million year old yeast that was preserved in amber could be grown into a starter and beer made from it, in extreme hot and cold conditions, why should we worry if it gets a little cold?!?

I've been putting a little space heater on the cider from time to time to hopefully get it cranking, as it was showing no activity after two days and the cider itself was quite chilled when I pitched the yeast... it seems to be getting a bit foamy now. I'm concerned as to whether I need some yeast nutrient for it or not, but sanitized using starsan and tipped some extra into the cider, which hopefully provides the phosphate required.

The beer was already in active fermentation mode, so I figure hopefully it hasn't done anything but slow the process down a bit...

I thought the low end was 64 degrees for s-05 and s-04... where are folks getting the 59 degree figure??

Ok. Am thoroughly schooled :)

I'd been using the numbers from the Northern Brewer spec sheets, which seemed to show 64-75... my bad.

The cider is Krausening... the beer is still giving the odd slow bubble. Looks like all's well.

Sorry if that came off snooty. I'm just surprised your ciders foam. I've experimented a couple times with cider with great success and I never witnessed any foaming. I used champagne yeast though.

It had a fizzy crown at the top... it was the Wyeast Sweet Mead I was using, which may have a different pattern of activity. It now just has a little foamy head, maybe 3/4" at the top of the cider... I'm getting fizz, but it's now bubbling at about 1-2 seconds per bubble. I think it's just a bit over a week in.

How long should this go for, fermentation-wise??

Back