Risk of carbon monoxide build up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmetheus

Reaction score
Hey All, first post, and brew.

I have a fermenter bucket in small 4 cubic foot freezer with a temp controller for temp consistency.

I am on my second day, and I noticed that some gas had built up in the bottom after I leaned in for sniff. Made me dizzy! Fanned it off and leaned in again to pop the lid for a look.

How big a risk is this to my health and the quality of the brew?

Oops miss identified the gas in the thread title. Carbon dioxide*

Last edited:
There is no "CO", instead there is CO2.
While CO2 can make you dizzy if it displaces the air you are breathing,
the likely hood of it causing a problem is "slim", more so.. "none".
It would have to be a "Significant" amount.

Happy Brewing!! :mug:

Thanks!

That makes me feel better. I'll just fan it a bit every time I open the freezer to avoid that.

CO2 isn't pleasant to breathe in....it'll burn. Don't stick your nose in there.

When I drain my fermenter into the keg, I use a return line from the gas post into the fermenter lid to push the displaced CO2 from the keg to the beer remaining in the fementer. It's a wide-mouth big-mouth bubbler fermenter.

Had a friend over for brewing a couple weeks ago; I caught a whiff of the beer aroma from the fermenter after we were finished, commented on how I liked it. My friend stuck his nose into the CO2-filled fermenter and took a really good whiff.

He's not going to do that again. :)

Or just don't open the freezer and let it be. ;)

Lol. Ya, I am kind of mothering it a bit. Plan on leaving it in primary for three weeks and then bottling. Meh... typical new brewer. No patience.

Definitely won't be sticky my schnoz in there as regularly, it's a sticky one @mongoose33 and ya it did sting a bit @ruascott.

Your constant release of greenhouse gases is ruining the planet! To make amends you should ship all your beer to me!

Just don't sniff it and you'll be fine. I'm a chronic airlock sniffer but sometimes do catch a big whif of co2 that fills the swamp cooler.

There is not that much CO2 being released from the carboy. Much of it stays in the dead space with the carboy.
Also. CO2 is heavier than air and will stay on the ground. So even if there was a lot being introduced into your home, it would pose zero threat.

Back