rising sediment..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reltuc

Reaction score
hey all,

just bottled an IPA with a friend yesterday. everything went as planned, and as of today there seems to be a normal amount of sediment sitting at the bottom of the bottles. i've had 3 successful batches thus far, so the resting sediment doesn't worry me.

my question for you all is, should yeast or sediment be rising/shooting to the top during bottle conditioning? i've never noticed it until this batch, but when putting a flashlight to the bottle and watching for a few seconds, there are obvious little pieces of trub shooting from the sediment cake up to the top.

for reference;
brewed an IPA (15 days @ 62*) US-05
OG - 1.051
FG - 1.010

bottled just under 5 gallons of beer using a solution of a little under half a cup of honey and 2 cups of water.

my fear is that i bottled too early and fermentation is still occuring. being a newbie and freaking out, i chilled a bottle for 20 minutes and opened it to see if i had a batch of bottle bombs brewing. there was minimal carbonation, but i figured i'd check with you guys (the experts)

:rockin:

well bottle conditioning is further fermentation, so there is that.

I've seen similar in my stored yeast when I put it in a jar too soon and the yeast kept creating co2. I think you're fine as long as you were for sure at the FG before bottling. The yeast are going to do their thing for a little while to carb up the beer.

If you were at 1.010 when you bottled, you're done w/ fermentation.

Wondering why you'd use honey instead of corn sugar or fizz tabs.

ever since my first batch i've used honey. thats what the directions stated in a starter kit i purchased, and it's worked ever since. if it's not broken.. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back