RIP Pierre Celis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIP. Thanks not only for Hoegaarden, but also for Celis White, being brewed again in Belgium and far tastier than Hoegaarden in its current state. And thanks for reviving the entire style.

RIP Pierre Celis

He fought the good fight for good beer for a very long time, bringing back a style that is now widely loved and was repeatedly beaten down by the big breweries which now try to copy the beer he saved. Without Pierre Celis there would not only be no Hoegaarden but no Blue Moon, no Shock Top, no Bell's Oberon, no Southampton Double White, or any of the other light, citrusy, spicey summertime wheat beers that so many around the world now love.

Thank you and you will be missed by the beer geek community.

10k+ dead in Japan, and my favorite cat runs away last week. Do I cry? No. I found out Pierre died last night and I'm still tearing up right now.

The first Belgian beer I ever had was a Celis White. My favorite beer ever remains Celis raspberry even though I haven't had one for years.

I have a 6 week old keg of Celis rasberry clone in the closet right now. It will be a very special keg. It's creation will straddle his departure.

Pierre Celis was one of the great brewers in Austin, Texas, and is largely responsible for the tremendous craft beer scene here, in a state that drinks more swill per capita than just about any other state. He will be missed by all, especially by Kevin Brand at (512), who spent quite a bit of time with Pierre over the last few years each time he came out to visit his daughter.

Raise your wits in a toast to one of the greatest brewers of our time. Here's to you Pierre :mug:

A guy I work with used to brew at the Celis brewery with Pierre. He gave me the recipe for the Celis White. Darn good beer.

Sad sad times. RIP Pierre.

Back