Rinsing grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfranks22

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of clone recipes which call for rinsing specialty grains after they are steeped. What does that mean?

when you withdraw steeping grains, they retain a significant amount of liquid that has captured the flavor. Rinsing the grain draws that out.

Think of it like a tea bag...if you pull it out of the cup and pinch it, more tea comes out. If you were to rinse it, even more would come out.

It is a good idea to steep your specialty grains in a smaller amount of water than whatever your prevail volume will be. So say you are only boiling 2-3 gallons on your stovetop and then topping off in your fermenter you can steep you grains in a gallon or so of water then put your grain bag in a colander over your pot and pour over the remaining water for your pre-boil volume.

This is in effect a sparge or rinse of your grains that will get any extra sugars from the grains rinsed out into you kettle rather than leaving them behind.

Another thing a lot of these recipes call for is the temperature of the rinsing water to be 170 F. I thought water that hot was bad for grains, because it led to tannins in the beer.

Another thing a lot of these recipes call for is the temperature of the rinsing water to be 170 F. I thought water that hot was bad for grains, because it led to tannins in the beer.

It is generally accepted that 170 is the upper limit. I am not sure how important that really is. It takes a combination of temperature and pH that you are very unlikely to reach in a homebrew setting.

170 is also a temperature that will stop conversion in a mash. That really doesn't apply to steeping since you are not really looking for conversion of starches to sugar. You are mostly just getting flavors and color from steeping grains.

Latest posts

Back