Rinsing beer lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagbrewer

Reaction score
I figured out today that I could recirculate rinse water through my duotight beer line with a submersible pump. As long as you have a pump that accepts 1/2” thread the 9.5 mm evabarrier line fits over the floating dip tube after a soak in hot water. Then I just connected my liquid out disconnect to the post on top of my fermonster lid. I suspect this would work for cleaning the line too but I don’t trust the chemical touching the pump. E31E046C-7BBD-4B9F-B739-3D914D06D8C8.jpeg

I run a similar setup with aquarium pump and Eva barrier lines for my kegerator. I’ll recirc BLC for twenty, do a quick rinse with a dedicated bug sprayer, then star San with pump, bug sprayer again, then I’ll cycle an additional 1/2G or so of distilled water and leave it in there til I’ve got another keg ready. Then I’ll flush with Star San, hook it up, flush the line and then take my first full pour!

You haven’t noticed any pump issues from recirculating BLC through it? I do have a smaller pump I may sacrifice to try it to not have to use co2 for that part. I also saw kegland put out a hand pump that mates to the tee for carbonation caps so that’s another option.

fwiw, I recirculate either BLC or LLC (whichever I have on hand) with warm water from the beer QDs through flow meters and out the faucet spouts and have never noted any resulting problems, only goodness...

Cheers!

Also, harbor freight has a cheap 120v pond pump option for under $20.
I have used PBW, LLC, etc. with no issues and no care if it does fail, is it's like $16 after the famous 20% off.
(This was pre covid... so not sure on availabilty/pricing)
The pump comes with a bunch of adapters for all sizes too.

You haven’t noticed any pump issues from recirculating BLC through it? I do have a smaller pump I may sacrifice to try it to not have to use co2 for that part. I also saw kegland put out a hand pump that mates to the tee for carbonation caps so that’s another option.

Not yet..it is a small capacity pump (265 GPH) I bought off of Amazon in Jan 2020 for $15. I was using it originally to pump water through my immersion chiller but the flow was a little too timid. Upgraded to a 660 and that left the 265 with nothing to do so I turned into the dedicated kegerator line cleaning pump. I always rinse it with tap water and let it air dry when I'm done with it.

Back