RIMS Tube with Sight Glass and Oxygenation system (Possible)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daves69

All Grain No Brain!
Reaction score
Just as the title says, I am wanting to build a RIMS tube into my brewery, however at the same time I would also want an in-line sight glass on it. I was looking at the options and it's going to be Tri-Clover for the RIMS tube components and then Cam-Lock for the connection to the MLT/HLT.

I then got to thinking could I also put a Oxygenate-tor (sp) in to it as well? Or would this be too much? I like the idea of the sigh glass on the RIMS Tube so I can see the wort flow over and watch it clear, superficial maybe but hey whatever.

I would also like to use that same sight glass when cooling the wort as well.

Has anyone seen or have such a contraption?

Thanks!

I know a guy with a sight glass built into his RIMS. Easy enough to do but pricey & I've never been clear what he gains from it. I don't believe he uses it in chilling &/or oxygenation.

A sight glass will help with seeing wort flow - but can be done with silicone tubing that is close to clear - the tubing I got from Brewhardware qualifies.

Oxygenate in the RIMS tube?? Thats a new one - what is your process?

I know a guy with a sight glass built into his RIMS. Easy enough to do but pricey & I've never been clear what he gains from it. I don't believe he uses it in chilling &/or oxygenation.

Yeah, I know he sight glass is not needed and the gains are minimal at best. However it would be nice to see wort clarity while mashing so I know my vorlauf is complete. Also to add just a sight glass is around $50 give or take several sponsors here sell them for around that price. when you have $2-3K invested already in items you can't justify what's another $50!

A sight glass will help with seeing wort flow - but can be done with silicone tubing that is close to clear - the tubing I got from Brewhardware qualifies.

Oxygenate in the RIMS tube?? Thats a new one - what is your process?

All my silicone hoses came from Bobby and yes they are pretty clear. I currently don't have a RIMS system, I am looking to put one on my stand however. If I do I want the sight glass for not only cosmetic reasons but also I might be able to configure it so I can make sure that the wort is on the heating element as to not cause damage from a stuck gran bed etc.

I was thinking with the RIMS Tube why could you not add another section to oxygenate the wort as well?

I don't know if having an aeration stone in the unit throughout mash & sparge flows would be likely to clog the stone without O2 flowing. If it were me & money were no object I think I'd do a separate sight glass unit just for oxygenation so the I could watch bubble size, etc. and would only have chilled wort flowing through with O2 flow to keep wort from soaking into the stone.

configure it so I can make sure that the wort is on the heating element as to not cause damage from a stuck gran bed etc.

I was thinking with the RIMS Tube why could you not add another section to oxygenate the wort as well?

IMG_1374.JPG

Here is my RIMS tube - but I've adjusted it so it is NOT level and is higher on the right side now. This keeps the element submerged.

When I pump the wort out of my kettle and through the plate heat exchanger, it doesn't go through the RIMS tube. If I were to add oxygenation to my plumbing somewhere, it would be at the outlet of the PHEX. I'm not sure why you would pump your boiled wort through the RIMS tube, but your brewing process is probably different then mine. Definetly do NOT oxygenate before boiling - you will just boil your O2 back out.

DSCN1075.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

Here is my RIMS tube - but I've adjusted it so it is NOT level and is higher on the right side now. This keeps the element submerged.

When I pump the wort out of my kettle and through the plate heat exchanger, it doesn't go through the RIMS tube. If I were to add oxygenation to my plumbing somewhere, it would be at the outlet of the PHEX. I'm not sure why you would pump your boiled wort through the RIMS tube, but your brewing process is probably different then mine. Definetly do NOT oxygenate before boiling - you will just boil your O2 back out.

DSCN1075.JPG

V

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Valid points, however I would not oxygenate my boiling wort. I was really just trying to use a single sight glass and wanted to know if that was even feasible. I also did not think about the stone getting clogged without air being passed through it. All valid points, still going to add a rims tube and sight glass just going to pass on incorporating am air stone into it. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back