Rims pid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm looking into building a RIMS this winter, as it gets pretty cold here in Maine, and I tend to have a hard time holding my temps when I brew, even now in the fall it's tough.

Anyway, I've been digging around and it seems like most people use the Auber SYL-4352 PID, but I can't find it anywhere. All I see is the SYL-2352 on their website. Am I just finding a bunch of coincidental typos, or does the 2352 replace the 4352?

Also, if anyone has other PID's that they have used with success, I'd love those numbers as well for comparison.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks sennister, that's awesome. I'm entirely new to all of this, so I wasn't sure what the difference was between the 2352 and the 4352. The 2352 sounds like the way to go for step mashing. I don't currently do a step mash since my mashtun is a cooler I need to do an infusion mash if I want to raise the temps.

Thanks for the info!

sennister, another question. With the SYL-2352, is a separate SSR still necessary? I see it says "SSR Output" in the description, so I wasn't sure.

Thanks,

Mark

sennister, another question. With the SYL-2352, is a separate SSR still necessary? I see it says "SSR Output" in the description, so I wasn't sure.

Thanks,

Mark

Let me start with the preface that I don't have electric kettles. I am also researching this and what I mention below is what I have planned out for a HERMS build which is basically the same as what you are doing with your RIMS....

Take a look at this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/relays-vs-ssrs-335766/

You will want the SSR output (2352P) and separate SSR. If you look at the links in the first post they have the manual in PDF so you can read up on them. Take a look at that and you will see the difference in the wiring between them in section 3 of the first page.

The draw back for this PID with Ramp/soak is that there is no manual control mode. If you want manual control you will want the 2352 (no P). The P in the part number is the ramp/soak option. Manual mode is nice to control a BK the Ramp/soak nice for the RIMS/HERMS. So I would go with a 2352P for the HLT or RIMS tube and a 2352 for the BK. If you are building your system slowly and want to use the same PID for both for now with plans to expand to a second PID later I would probably start with the 2352 for now to get manual mode and use a timer for step mash. Been done that way for years. The 2352P is new so you could upgrade to that once you are ready to add a second PID.

I will probably go single PID route and add the 2352P as a later upgrade as I want manual control for the PID in my BK.

Thanks again, I think for me, the non programmable option makes more sense. As long as I can bump the temp from say 154 to 168 on the fly, that's all I am looking to do. I don't mind having a timer for the rest times.

Very helpful info. Thanks again.

Thanks again, I think for me, the non programmable option makes more sense. As long as I can bump the temp from say 154 to 168 on the fly, that's all I am looking to do. I don't mind having a timer for the rest times.

Very helpful info. Thanks again.

Not a problem. I plan on going that route for my first one. Then when I add the second channel in the control box I will look again and the programmable one and make a decision on if I want to go that route or the automatic on. I will probably go with the automatic one. Worst thing if I don't like it, I can just run "manually" as in manually set the temp and let it automatically hold that temp for xx minutes based on a timer.

Back