Rich's EXTREME Sleeper State Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superkabuto

Reaction score
This beer is like me - out of control. I wasn't sure if I would like it until I tried my first gravity sample. Me thinks Me is going to enjoy this.

6 Gallon Batch:

Steeping grains:
1lbs American Crystal 40L
1lbs Cara-Pils
8oz American Chocolate
1lbs American Victory
1lbs American Vienna

Fermentables:
7lbs Amber DME
3lbs Dark DME
2bs Brown Sugar
1.5 lbs Honey
2lbs Molasses

Hops:
10 oz Magnum 13.1% at 75 minutes
4 oz Cascade 8.1% at 15 minutes

Yeast nutrient and and irish moss added at 15 minutes

Yeast:
TWO vials of WL099 Super High Gravity Yeast made with a starter 24hours before

SRM: 21
OG: 1.119
IBU: 262
ABV: 11-14% (depending on how hard the yeasty beasties work)

After 3 weeks in the primary SG was 1.030. Planning on cracking this beast in August, when SWHBO and I take a vacation to Sleeper State Park in Michigan. :mug:

Extreme is right, that is a lot of fermentables and a lot of hops. Might not be the optimal beer for August drinking, even in Michigan.

Yes, sir, you are correct. It seems like too much, I know, but after sampling it I think it will be quite tasty when it's done. Especially if if FG is on the higher side, of course.

Alpha acids saturate wort around 100 IBUs so you would have gotten a very similar beer with half the bittering hops. That said late boil hops don’t run into the same wall, there is no “maximum”.

Alpha acids saturate wort around 100 IBUs so you would have gotten a very similar beer with half the bittering hops. That said late boil hops don’t run into the same wall, there is no “maximum”.

Oh, I didn't know this. This is very useful information. Thank you very much.

Actually, now that you mention it, I remember reading somewhere that there is a debate about whether a beer can really have an IBU over 100. I guess this is why.

Update:

After 10 weeks in the bottle this barley wine is AWSOME. Not to blow my own horn, but I think this is the best barley wine I've ever had. The two pounds of black strap molasses really gives it a unique flavor. FG ended up being 1.020 weighing in at 12.7% abv. The carbonation is about half of what I would want ideally but is still pretty good. I think it's a bit darker than SRM 21.

I highly recommend this. I'm kicking myself for not making more. I know it will only get better with age.

I am glad you like it, but by my estimation, this beer has barely started conditioning. Save at least 6 bottles, and drink 1 each for the next 6 years.

Yes, I know this. It has barely started to condition but is already very good. I'm not sure if I have the patients to wait 6 years. I know I'll be saving at least two for a special occasion next year. :tank:

Back