Rice wine jelly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unferth

Reaction score
I made a little too much rice wine (2 gallons in my fridge) so I'm trying something new to preserve it.

Recipe:

3.5 cups rice wine
1/2 cup of lemon juice
6 tablespoons powdered Pectin
4.5 cups sugar

Combine wine and all lemon juice, bring to boil. Add pectin and sugar, boil for 1 minute. Hot pack jelly into mason jars, add caps and boil jars and caps for 10 min.

I adapted this from a Chablis jelly recipe in Ball Blue Book guide to preserving.

Here are some pics from the jam session

Ingredients:
photo copy.jpg

Be attentive! boilover is likely
photo.jpg

very very hot.
photo copy 3.jpg

Not my clearest jelly (or wine)
photo copy 2.jpg

Yield: 14x125ml jars. Thats about 7 half-pint jars in standard. They only have the metric ones up here.
photo copy 4.jpg

I will include tasting notes when it sets!

Boiling wine evaporates both water and alcohol, the alcohol a bit faster. One minute wouldn't do much to the alcohol content.

Let us know how that works out and how it tastes. Then, maybe consider some other flavors... plum? Cherry blossom? Jasmine?

The taste is pretty nice. I'm imagining a duck marinated in rice wine and glazed with this stuff, sprinkle some 5-spice and salt.

Back