Rib-cage vs small coil in a large coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerguy83

Reaction score
Will be building this with 50' 3/8" OD. Might do it at 40' and do an inline chiller as well.

And.....GO!

I'm interested to see what you are building. I've got an idea that I think is the next innovation in chillers but I would really like to see what you've got brewing. Post pictures and chill times with inlet water temp.

Was super efficient, with the air temp around 41F and tap water at 47F took 13mins to go from boiling to 69F!

I think you chose wisely. I made a coil in coil chiller that works well, but was a bit of a pain to form. I hadn't heard of the ribcage ones then, or I would have made one instead.

If you're whirlpooling or stirring all the twisty shenanigans become moot.

While I agree, the only thing that can be advantageous is dual or multiple coils with individual cold water inputs, rather than a long coil where the coolant reaches wort temp prematurely as it is passing the chiller.

Coolant water temp is relatively way more important than the chiller design.

Nope, just lifted up and down a couple times twice over the course of the 13 mins.
I should rephrase the to say, "If anyone is whirlpooling or stirring all the twisty shenanigans become moot."

While I agree, the only thing that can be advantageous is dual or multiple coils with individual cold water inputs, rather than a long coil where the coolant reaches wort temp prematurely as it is passing the chiller. Coolant water temp is relatively way more important than the chiller design.
I agree, but that problem can be lessened with a high enough flow rate. Unfortunately this design looks to be one continuous length of tubing with a lot of fancy bending. It can improve cooling time but only in stagnant wort.

While I agree, the only thing that can be advantageous is dual or multiple coils with individual cold water inputs, rather than a long coil where the coolant reaches wort temp prematurely as it is passing the chiller.

Coolant water temp is relatively way more important than the chiller design.

That seems to be the secret of Jaded's Hydra chiller. I don't think anything comes close.

That seems to be the secret of Jaded's Hydra chiller. I don't think anything comes close.

I was looking at their king cobra. At $175 there's no way. Wouldn't a chiller with 3/4 inch tubing be just as effective as two 3/8 tubing running parallel?

Back