Rhubarb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runswithlightning

Reaction score
Anyone used rhubarb in brewing. Looking for some advice, like what style it would go best with. How best to get the flavor I come through. My mom doesn't drink anything but told me if I made her a rhubarb beer she would drink it. So I need something light like a cream or a wheat. Any suggestions appreciated.

Have you tried any of the rhubarb sodas out there?

http://www.drysoda.com/flavor-rhubarb.php

I have only had rhubarb pie and it was very sweet, so I definitely think wheat or cream is on the right path (as it usually is with any fruit beer).

How would you describe the flavor profile of rhubarbs boiled with sugar water? That might help you think about what malt flavor you need to surround it with.

Hmmmm...I never thought of using rhubarb. I LOVE rhubarb pie. I'd think that a wheat beer would be perfect for it. I might have to try that soon.

Ya I know which parts to use. Grew up growing it. I have had some of the soda. It's her fav and that's why she asked for it. Just not sure how to make sure alot of the flavor comes through.

I always thought a Wheat at about 1.045 with some neutral hops at about 30 IBU, ferment with 1056 or 001. The rhubarb (a couple pounds) would be pressure cooked with a small amount of water for 15 minutes and added with a 1/2 pound of corn sugar.

Getting the tartness of the rhubarb to match the beer would be the hard part.

A HB club member was recently talking about a straight rhubarb wine they had made and said they (he and his wife) drank a 1/2 gallon at bottling because it was so good. I can not confirm this but they make good brews so I can trust them at their word.

Our next meeting is this Thursday and can ask them for the recipe if you like (I am almost positive it is rhubarb, sugar and yeast). I can also ask if they think this flavor would do well in a beer and what would be a good style.

A HB club member was recently talking about a straight rhubarb wine they had made and said they (he and his wife) drank a 1/2 gallon at bottling because it was so good. I can not confirm this but they make good brews so I can trust them at their word.

Our next meeting is this Thursday and can ask them for the recipe if you like (I am almost positive it is rhubarb, sugar and yeast). I can also ask if they think this flavor would do well in a beer and what would be a good style.

yooper has a rhubarb wine recipe on her recipes list, i can confirm that it is amazing, and dead easy to make
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/rhubarb-wine-29310/

I will be trying a rhubarb wine this summer (Yoopers recipe). I've got my family hoarding it for me this year. Hope to make 3-4 gallons if I can gather enough. I've made one kit wine so far and need to get something else on deck as this will be bottled in 1 month.

You did make me think about a Rhubarb wheat beer though. Not sure how I would back sweeten it though, as I assume the Rhubarb would leave it extra tart. A tad of Splenda? I would think it might be similar to the cranberry wheat I did last year.

I suppose you could use lactose, give it a creamy mouthfeel conbined with the wheat it would probably taste like a rhubarb bar.

I suppose you could use lactose, give it a creamy mouthfeel conbined with the wheat it would probably taste like a rhubarb bar.

I HIGHLY recommend NOT doing this. I did a cranberry wit beer this way and it was funky strange. I gave them out and got some interesting feed back from gawd awful to interestingly different. Certainly not my best beer...

I make fruit beers all of the time for my girlfriend. A nice plain pale ale will work. You want to emphasize the fruit. For 5 gal like 8 lbs 2 row 1 lb crystal ( I like to split it up 25 and 60 or 90) oh, and a half pound of wheat malt for fun. Before you rack to secondary. Cut the offending fruit freeze it and heat it up while mashing it (using some siphoned beer for liquid) throw it in secondary. Rhubarb is tart, embrace it, don't add sugar unless you don't have body, than add lactos ( half of what everyone tells you). If your mom loves rhubarb she will love that. Oh yes, California ale and one 60 min hop of your choice. Good luck:)

Zamial said:
I HIGHLY recommend NOT doing this. I did a cranberry wit beer this way and it was funky strange. I gave them out and got some interesting feed back from gawd awful to interestingly different. Certainly not my best beer...

Good to know, thanks!

Please check back in when this thing is all finished up! I've always thought rhubarb would be very interesting in an ipa and I'd love to see if you can make it work in the manner you're suggesting. Good luck!

I always thought a Wheat at about 1.045 with some neutral hops at about 30 IBU, ferment with 1056 or 001. The rhubarb (a couple pounds) would be pressure cooked with a small amount of water for 15 minutes and added with a 1/2 pound of corn sugar.

Getting the tartness of the rhubarb to match the beer would be the hard part.

This is exactly the sort of answer I've been looking for, thank you dude.

Did a nice wheat that came in around 5.5%. Added 5 lbs of fresh rhubarb that I froze for a few days to secondary. Came out AWESOME! Just the right amount of rhubarb flavor and tartness.

There are a few rhubarb recipes on this board. I have yoppers rhubarb wine going right now, as well as The Weebs "Big Bold Rhubarb Wheat" (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/big-bold-rhubarb-wheat-281705/)

Granted they are both in primary, so I can't tell you first hand how they turned out, but I thought I'd through them out for you to take a look at. Others are reporting success though, so I'm hopeful :)

I'd consider making a sour beer with it as that would lend to its natural state...
a tart or a kriek... dunno, sounds awesome though. I might just try it myself.

I did a pretty killer Strawberry Rhubarb Lambic a couple years ago. It was great. In a 5 gallon batch I added 7.5 lbs of strawberries and 2.5 lbs of rhubarb to tertiary. I think in the future I'd bump the rhubarb up and the strawberries down by 1 lb each.

The rhubarb's tartness goes perfectly with the sour of the lactic acid and the sweetness of the strawberries balance it nicely.

As promised, here's the recipe to my brew:

http://boykingbrewhaus.com/2014/07/19/verdict-and-recipe-strawberry-rhubarb-saison/

Good luck!

image.jpg

Back