Rhizomes came in the mail today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
After my Chinooks failed to produce shoots this year, I investigated (I dug them up) only to find my crowns infested with maggot looking vermin. So sad. I was really looking forward to some hearty plants this year. So I invested in 2 magnum rhizomes and 2 cascade rhizomes. It helps take the sting out of the other failed crown. Anybody else have and issue where those little maggoty looking critters are eating their way through their crowns before?

Sounds like it could be Black vine weevil larvae, the adults lay eggs in mid-summer and the larvae hatch in the spring. Best to treat the new plants with insecticidal soap at the first sign of them, before they have a chance to reproduce again.

black_wine_weevil1.jpg

I don't think so. I wish I had taken a picture of the maggots. They looked almost identical to house fly maggots. Very small, thin and smooth. Either way, I need to treat for these pesky little bugs.

Back