Rhizomes arrived

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezknight

Reaction score
I just received my first rhizomes, (2) Cascade & (2) Goldings. I'm planting them on Saturday morning, but had a question about things I should buy today at the garden center.

I know I need twine and top soil (a lot of clay in our area), but what should I look for when people say to mix in some "organic" matter with the soil? Is there a name brand something I should buy. I just started my compost pile, so I can't use anything there, yet.

Dig out the area and mix in the clay, manure, peat moss, and organic soil. Clay is extremely rich in nutrient, but it needs to be loosened and missed to enhance drainage.

In the end, I don't think it makes all that much difference with hops. Once you get them started that are pretty damn robust and just need fertilizer/topdressing throughout the growing season.

Should be composted manure, but unless you live on a farm, you aren't likely to have any fresh around. With a clay soil a good mix is 1/3 soil, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 composted manure. That will improve the drainage around the young plant and keep it fed.

Back