Rhizome " Storage "

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hounds

Reaction score
Thinking of doing something I have not tried yet. Took some cuttings this late Summer, got a late start on them but they are all rooted and doing ok in small pots. Periodically and randomly tested them and most had roots and shoots.
My intent was to plant these in the Fall and then cover them with a nice layer of woodchips and soil mixture.

Question: Rather than plant this Fall can I keep them in pots in a basement that is 45 to 50 F in Winter? Will they GROW or stay in dormancy? I have no lights I dont want them to grow.

I really don't have the time to go preparing and planting them outside this year.

Normally I do this 1st thing in the Spring as SOON as snow melts. I have 60 plants. Not like just a couple.

I have some potted ready for transplant and I'm going to try leaving them outside under chopped leaves. Last winter I had 1 potted golding in the basement, just to see what it would do under low light. It probably put on a new leaf set every 2 weeks, all straggly like. Then in the spring I just chucked it out.

before planting my hops in the ground in year 3, I had them in 5 g buckets to see if I had enough light to make them grow.

At the end of the season (Chicago), one year I took the 5 g buckets and put them in an outdoor shed, letting them freeze. Following year, I forgot to do anything and just had them on the ground outside all winter.

Subsequently planted them in the ground and they are doing fine.

So what is the 'grey area ' in terms of temperature that my rhizomes/plants will stay in relative dormancy but maybe grow very slow ? At least to the point of increasing the main rhizome and root activity a bit but not coming too far out of the ground and having crazy long shoots stretching for light that's not there. ? OR shall I keep the basement warmer with one light on them for a Month then turn everything off? That might be the answer eh?

I once transplanted 60 very strong and healthy plants in the Fall ( Yeah FALL, lol ) and covered them with wood chips. They took off and did very well up til first snow fall. I figured they would return in the Spring..... NOT. They ALL died. I'm thinking not enough quality root system developed in 45 days OR not enough wood chips/soil over the top of them. I did NOT plant them directly in the soil, but rather on top with a mound system. We have poor quality top soil here.

Thanks.

Back