Rhino Farts CURED!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyA

Reaction score
I couldn't believe this one myself, so I felt that I had to share what I did in hopes others have done the same and had the same results.

So yesterday I got home from a fishing trip, and my 3 day old ferment made my room smell like someone let off a few rounds from a black powder pistol. Not "ass" smelling, but definitely not smelling like apples and more like sulfur.

I used S-04 yeast, raw juice, and yeast energizer. This got me worried, because I remember adding the yeast energizer so that it wouldn't get the rhino farts! So I quickly dissolved a tablespoon of regular yeast "nutrient" (not "energizer"), added it last night, and took the fermenter out of the pot of water to warm up to room temperature (65 degrees). Woke up this morning to a very pleasant apple smell. Smelled the air lock and I'll be damned! The sulfur odor went away over night! I mean, still KIND of there if you're looking for the smell, but for the most part I now smell the apples much more. Was under the impression that I wasn't going to smell any progress for about a week! Thanks for the tips guys! :mug:

Yeast Energizer makes the yeast work faster.

Yeast Nutrient feeds the yeast.

Guess which one you should have used first. :D

Oh jeeze.... Wish I would have had that explained to me first. An employee at my LHBS told me that you can use them interchangeably... Knowing that the guy only does beers and therefore has no experience with having to use nutrient, I should have taken that with a grain of salt.

Back