Reusing bottles is ok right ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok weird dumb question o' the day. So my friend / brew assistant an I during our brew session are simultaneously having a sour beer session and I said to him do not toss any of these bottles ie. rodenbach grand cru, 2008 vintage, liefmans goudenband, cuvée renee, and oud tart. He comes back at me and says you can't reuse sour bottles for your lambic or Flanders red. I said, say what !!! Now common sense and even this is debatable is that you shouldn't reuse them for a clean beer but if properly cleaned and sanitized why can't I reuse them for my sour beers ? It would save me a considerable amount of money and they are the proper bottle for the style / level of carbonation and will accept the Belgian corks and wire. Am I off base here or had the assistant become the teacher ?

Ok weird dumb question o' the day. So my friend / brew assistant an I during our brew session are simultaneously having a sour beer session and I said to him do not toss any of these bottles ie. rodenbach grand cru, 2008 vintage, liefmans goudenband, cuvée renee, and oud tart. He comes back at me and says you can't reuse sour bottles for your lambic or Flanders red. I said, say what !!! Now common sense and even this is debatable is that you shouldn't reuse them for a clean beer but if properly cleaned and sanitized why can't I reuse them for my sour beers ? It would save me a considerable amount of money and they are the proper bottle for the style / level of carbonation and will accept the Belgian corks and wire. Am I off base here or had the assistant become the teacher ?

You can certainly reuse properly cleaned and sanitized glass bottles (and carboys) for both sour and clean beers.

that's what I thought !!! I'm not sure why I even asked this question as I was 99.9% sure I was right but he got me thinking well "maybe" because they are sours.........

I got a bunch of crusty residue from doing a pLambic. Some of the bottles came clean with soaking and scrubbing. Some I had to toss.

Latest posts

Back