Reusing Blueberries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manortc

Reaction score
I currently have a batch of porter going with 4 lbs of blueberries in the secondary. The blueberries I put in have swelled up and look pretty good. I am wondering if anyone has then used the blueberries (or any fruit) after they used it in their beer? I'm hoping most of their flavor and sugars have gone into the beer. I was thinking maybe blueberry muffins or something like that so if they don't get a lot of blueberry flavor, it's no big deal.

I've tasted blueberries after they've been in beer for a couple weeks -- they become just some fibrous skins that taste like beer. To me, that wouldn't be a good addition to anything that I want to eat & certainly wouldn't make muffins taste good. I dump mine on the compost pile where they will make new soil. That's the best I can see that you'd do with them.

I've seen the raspberries that have been in my Raspberry Wheat for a month. They are white and gray and taste terrible, not nearly as good as the beer they were sitting in. The beer strips all of the sugar (and thus flavor) from the berries and basically leave their skins, I'd try a few before you put them in anything expecting them to give a blueberry flavor, I suspect you won't be impressed with how they taste after being added to your beer.

Thanks for the info. What I thought, but wanted to see if anyone had tried anything with them.

Back