Reuse of steeping grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty22

Reaction score
What is the general consensus on hanging the steeping bag/grains to dry and then hanging them outside for the birds? There's no alcohol in them so I don't see how it could harm any animals. Thought it might be a creative use for used steeping grains. :)

deer fodder, squirrel fodder, bird fodder, and dog treats...I prefer the latter!!! :)

Pretty cool idea, although in my neighborhood the cats/racoons would probably be getting into them quicker.

Hmmm maybe I'll hang some out back right in front of the haybales/target.

+1 on the dog treats, especially if you are only doing steeping grains.

I could make enough dog treats to feed my entire city when I do 10 gallon AG batches now. I usually scoop a pitcher of it out for treats and the rest goes on the compost pile.

How do you make dog treats out of it? Add more ingredients and make some sort of solid?

I feed my spent grains to the chickens hense the name "Lucky Chicken Brewery"... they love it and it dosent last very long.

I wouldn't really leave them outside unless they are in the compost bin. They will probably attract flies and get a bunch of maggots in them...eww. I left some out for the birds and/or squirrels once and they wouldn't touch them, I don't know why.

I usually make the dog biscuits (which I like to eat too...lol) and then toss the rest in the compost.

+1 on the dog treats. I grind the spent grains in the food processor first to make them a little finer. Dogs love 'em. When partially cooked, score them into squares on the cookie sheet (greased) so they break apart easy. Cook 'em till they're good and dry.

I have a stretch of wood with wild hogs here in Texas. We throw it out the morning after brew night and sit that night with bows in hand! Oink oink

We make dog treats out the spent grains. Homemade peanut butter, stock, and grains make a good combination for dog biscuits. I'm up to my ears in dog biscuits now, so what I tend to do right now is to spread the grains into the yard where I could use some extra bacteria in the soil -- works pretty well and the other critters can enjoy at will.

Matty22 said:
What is the general consensus on hanging the steeping bag/grains to dry and then hanging them outside for the birds? There's no alcohol in them so I don't see how it could harm any animals. Thought it might be a creative use for used steeping grains. :)

I add my spent grain to the vegetable garden, and have had good results for two growing seasons.

image-1503761768.jpg

I feed my spent grains to the chickens hense the name "Lucky Chicken Brewery"... they love it and it dosent last very long.

Same here, hense the name "Wicked Chicken Brewery". :D
I also do the dog treat thing. Some dogs don't do well with wheat though so it depends a little on what grains I'm using.

Back