Return springs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoengine

Whale Noun Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My old draft tower and faucet assembly had piston return springs between the shank and faucet. The new shanks are concave and the old return spring doesn't seat properly. I apparently can run them without return springs but should I? If not, any suggestions for replacements?

20200511_195128.jpg

I don't know what kind of springs you are referring to, but fwiw I'm running the Intertap springs with Perlick 525ss faucets using shanks with faces that look like yours. These springs have a slight "christmas tree" tapered profile and are very light gauge SS wire and the fat ends manage to find the center of the shank faces without any evident issue...

1589255615856.png

What make/model faucets are you using? I suppose faucets using shuttles might have a problem if the shank end of the shuttle protrudes too far back...

Cheers!

I don't know what kind of springs you are referring to, but fwiw I'm running the Intertap springs with Perlick 525ss faucets using shanks with faces that look like yours. These springs have a slight "christmas tree" tapered profile and are very light gauge SS wire and the fat ends manage to find the center of the shank faces without any evident issue...

View attachment 679966

What make/model faucets are you using? I suppose faucets using shuttles might have a problem if the shank end of the shuttle protrudes too far back...

Cheers!
I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. Thanks.

Right, I was afraid of this. The rear sealing shuttle doesn't have enough space to compress the spring with the now shallow shank behind it.
Looking at the old shanks - I've never seen one like those with such crazy deep wells, but then again I've never had a rear-sealing faucet.
Maybe you can find a shorter SS spring?

Otherwise, this might be a good time for an upgrade, either Perlick or Intertap forward-sealing faucets should solve this problem...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back