return a dead chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do about the dead freezer

• Drop it back off

• you're stuck with it

• put it out on the street with an honest sign

• other...please explain

Results are only viewable after voting.

stevea1210

Reaction score
I picked up a roughly 5 cu ft chet freezer for free. IT was sitting on the street a couple blocks away with a free sign on it.

Take it home...it doesn't work. The compressor runs, but never cools. It is an old one, and probably not worth repairing.

I realize the whole get what you pay for thing....but I thought it was a bit of a dick move to not mention on the free sign that it was a busted non functioning freezer.

I am thinking about dropping it back off at the place I picked it up from with an updated sign indicating Free, but doesn't work.

Is that justifiable, or a dick move? It looks like it will cost me money to dispose of this thing, or I could put it ont he street and pass the bad freezer along. I don't like either of those ideas. However I also don't like being stuck with someone elses trash. Thoughts? Ideas?

Remove the compressor and motor and sell it as scrap. The recycling yards around here require those to be removed prior to scrapping.

I would drop it back off with a updated sign. It was a dick move to put it out there being a big white paper weight.

Well this story has a bit of a happy ending.

My in-laws came by today. My FIL has a retired friend whose hobby is to take any all metal he can find and scrap it. He puts all of the money he makes into a college fund for his granddaughter.

The freezer is being dropped to him for scrap. He get's a little more for his grand kids education, I get rid of a useless (to me) freezer.

maxam said:

He said his FIL friend got a little more than a grand for selling the scrap for a 5cf freezer. Ive got a couple of those. I too would like a grand for them in some magical world.

Back