Results of a Less Vigorous Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPG27

Reaction score
So, I think I may have not had the greatest boil of all time. It wasn't vigorously bubbling, just sort of heaving around the hop particles and hot break. I did turn the heat up a good bit with about 20 minutes left so it wasn't a total loss. But I'm wondering what the affects of not having a strong rolling boil would be aside from the obvious of having more wort left in the kettle than planned. Thanks.

Boiling vigorously helps to remove some unwanted things like DMS. Depending on your malts this may or may not be a real issue. Also less of the hop flavors will boil out. Probably a few other things but basically you will be okay. Even a weak boil will remove some. Of course less boil off means lower gravity so a little less alcohol content. Also less caramelization.

It will be a slightly different beer than if you had boiled vigorously. Depending on the recipe more or less difference.

It was a 2 gallon AG marzen. 4 lbs light Munich, .50 lb Vienna and .20 carapills. Had an OG of 1.056. I ended up with probably 2 1/2 gallons in the fermenter. I'm assuming it's going to end up more bitter than I wanted. I went with .50 oz tettnanger for 60 and .20 oz hallertau for 25 minutes.

Back