Repurposed Corny keg: fighting Montezuma's Revenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I recently discovered that my well water was contaminated with bacteria of some kind..... in the "usual" and unpleasant way. The persistent intestinal problem clued me in to bad water. It's been a regular problem during the irrigation season of a couple months each year. I'll treat the well later in the season when they are done irrigating.
In the meantime I experimented with hot water. My water heater is set around 150f so it kills everything. Sure enough, the water from the hot water tap, chilled cleared things up for me. So my quick and dirty solution was to put a 5 gallon corny under the kitchen sink, run hot water in the top and draw cool water from the bottom to a separate tap for the purpose. I gutted the fittings, and drilled two pieces of aluminum shaft in two directions 90 deg apart, one threaded 1/2" NPT, and one to fit the post on the keg. This is plumbed into the hot water system with flex hose, and to the new tap. The fittings are simply held on with a bar across them and a pair of threaded eye bolts to a nylon strap running underneath the keg so they won't blow off. Works very well, good flow with the drilled out posts, water comes out cool. I use it for anything I consume where it isn't heated and for tooth brushing, etc. Another keg and a one gallon ice tea jug in the fridge are filled from it.
........... No more Montezuma's revenge.........

H.W.

Back