replacing O rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneman

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am the proud purchaser of 4 new (used) Corneys and I am going to order some replacement O rings from Mcmaster Carr.

I have found the sizes needed using search

(1) Dip Tube O-Rings
5/16" ID x 1/2"OD x 3/32" width
9452K172 BunaN #109
Pkg 100/$2.24

(2) Post O-Rings
7/16" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/32" width
9452K23 BunaN #111
Pkg 100/$2.77

(3) Lid O-Rings
3 1/2" ID x 4" OD x 1/4" width
9452K218 BunaN #417
Pkg 10/$12.50

But my question is how often do you replace the orings? After each batch of beer? Only when you are switching beers? Once a year whether it needs it or not? etc...:confused:

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Basically, you will need to do it once when you get them, if they are not already changed during a rebuild by the vendor, and then probably never again.

I would suggest the use of silicone orings on the posts, as they see a sliding use and it's better that you use stronger ones there. The bulk packets from McMaster-Carr will last you a lifetime, too.

+1; I replaced all of mine on a rebuild. The dip tubes and lid ones I haven't replaced in a long time, and probably won't. The post rings hold up well, but even better with lube (I just finally remembered to buy some.. might be changing some).

Thanks everybody!
I just wanted to double check before I placed the o ring order.
I should have a lifetimes worth now. :)

If you bought used soda corny kegs that were'nt cleaned yet, you can use the existing o-rings and lid gasket unless they're dry rotted by simply boiling them...this will draw any soda syrup out of the rubber.....even with rootbeer soda kegs...sanitizing after empting a keg is always a good practice....contamination is not good for your brew or you.

Doh... :(
I just got an email from McMaster Carr,
"Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing complexity of United States export regulations, McMaster-Carr will only process orders from a few long-established customers in Canada. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you."
I'm heading down to Olympia next week, does McMaster Carr have any storefronts in Bellingham or the greater Seattle Area?
Or do you guys have any suggestions?

If you are heading to Olympia you can probably nail any of the LHBS's is the Seattle area or Rocky Top homebrew in Olympia and get the O-Rings there.

Back