Replacement lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Markovics

Reaction score
I picked up a glass 3 gallon jug that looks like a little bigmouth at a yard sale for cheap, but the lid needs replacing. the inner diameter of the jug is 4 1/8, or 104/105 mm. The Outer diameter is 4 29/32 or 125/126mm. I tried a three gallon fermonster lid and it's too small. Any one know where I might be able to get a replacement lid for this jug?

A picture might help.
Yes they would, sorry about that, here you go. For those that will ask, yes I called the company on the label and they no longer sell these jugs. And the lid that comes with it is very flimsy.

Attachments

• water jug lid.jpg
    water jug lid.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Water jug.jpg
    Water jug.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
OK, so maybe a picture won't help. This isn't going to be easy. Pretty sure a BMB lid is too big.
Yeah, I've got an email in to them for the dimensions of the universal lid. Haven't heard back from them yet. I might have to get the lid from them, cut it down, and use it as a template to pour my own silicon rubber lid. But hopefully I can find a lid, it would save me a ton of time.

You could just use a flat piece of plastic as the lid/cover, with a small hole in it for an airlock.
Then wrap some plastic wrap around the edge/threads to hold the lid down and in place.

Just be very careful handling large glass containers such as those. They can break and cause injuries (some severe) due to their sheer size and weight.

You could just use a flat piece of plastic as the lid/cover, with a small hole in it for an airlock.
Then wrap some plastic wrap around the edge/threads to hold the lid down and in place.

Just be very careful handling large glass containers such as those. They can break and cause injuries (some severe) due to their sheer size and weight.
Yep, if I can't buy a lid, I'm going to figure out a lid one way or another. These are the times I wish I still had access to a machine shop. I'd cut down an old hdp cutting board from goodwill, add a recess cut and drill out a hole for the airlock, but I don't. Still, if I can figure out a decent lid, I am going to buy a carboy net carrier so I don't drop it. Even with just 2 gallons of water and say 4-5 lbs of sugar that's still over 20lbs to move and glass is slippery.

Back